Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Sub Zero freezer temp inside salon

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by CSkipR, Apr 18, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My sub zero freezer temperature is only going down to 10 degrees. Do these freezers sometimes need an additional Freon charge. Its been like that the past two years (maybe more) but thought it should be closer to zero. This freezer works off 120v power no saltwater cooling. The boat or generator has not been running when temp is checked.
  2. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I had problems with the seal on mine.
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I would check the seal and clean the coils and fan first.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Drawers? How old are they? Had two fridges and one freezer and had a small leak on one. Ended up replacing the evaporator. Have a refrigeration guy check the pressures, top it off if needed and see if it holds
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The SZ freezer is one unit about the size of the two drawers. My SZ refrigerator has two drawers. I cleaned the coils underneath the unit this morning and not seeing any temp drop. The seal seems to be good but not sure how to check that. The fan your speaking of is it up top close to the thermostat control inside the unit. Not sure if the fan is working as I don't hear it. If the fan was not working would that make a difference in the temperature?
  6. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Just went out and removed enough to see that the fan is not working as the unit had already started icing up. Not sure how to replace the fan as not much room to work in. Where do you recommend ordering parts for Sub Zero? The seal looks fine and there is a slight suction when opening the door. So may have two issues could need more Freon and fan motor definitely will need to be replaced.
  7. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I removed the fan tonight and checked it with 120v power. It worked so something else is not sending it power when its suppose too. Trying to find a wiring diagram. Could be the fan door switch. I'm guessing.
  9. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

The fan usually is off when the freezer is in defrost mode. For every 8 to 12 hours the freezer runs it defrosts 20 to 30 minutes depending on the timer version. check to see if the defrost heaters are working also If its low on Freon you have a leak (it doesn't wear out or get used up.)

Check the to see the condenser is clean and condenser fan is working first, then electrical next, evaporator fan, defrost timer, thermostat, defrost heaters. If all that's ok you need a Freon sniffer to look for a leak or you need to access the system to check the pressures.
  10. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Anyone know off hand what Freon the SZ model 249FF uses. The unit is a 2005.
  11. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

There is a tag with electrical data and Freon type and charge weight on the unit case by US law (if in USA). It depends where it was assembled, and if they followed the Montreal Protocol and the superseding ones. If you can't find the tag on the cabinet, look for the one on the compressor itself. It's coded so you'll have to look up the specs. The code is usually between 9 and 13 letters and numerals.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most likely R22.
  13. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Adding Freon might be the worst thing to do unless your sure have a leak. That needs repaired first, vacuumed to below 1000 microns (I always want to see below 200) and the exact charge ( to the tenth of a ounce) weighed in because it's critical in a capillary tube systems. It may be some thing like 8.6 ounces for instance..

IT may also be R134a.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Chances are you do not have a Schrader valve (Freon service inlet). If not, a service kit will have to be soldered into the system.

Did you figure out the fan issue yet?
    How warm does the condenser get?
  15. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yes got the evaporator fan working but evaporator coil area is frosting up and freezer temp starts climbing. I've ordered a defrost timer and defrost terminator from southerncoastalparts out of Jax that should be here on Monday. Hope this will fix the issue. Talked to a couple of appliance repair companies and that was their suggestion. You are correct there is no schrader valve its a closed system. Will post the results.
  16. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Based on a few your feedback & some online videos I decided to replace the defrost timer and defrost terminator which I ordered from southerncoastalparts.com. Lucky guess on my part but they fixed the problem. Freezer is on #3 and 0 degrees. First time I ever remember it being this cold.
  17. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

Glad you got it working......
  18. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Well so much for that short lived success. The past two days the freezer temperature has been 18-20 degrees. I ordered a new thermostat control and replaced it thinking it could be the culprit but it wasn't. Going to find service technician tomorrow.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, I fully recommend having a technician diagnose both the freezer AND the a/c unit you're having issues with.
  20. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

If I could find one in this area that would be great. Only one and he's tied up through the month of May. Subzero recommended I find an appliance repair person and they would talk him through the diagnosis since no marine sub zero person available.