Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Cross

Starting a Sailing Career...

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by CuriousGuy, Aug 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CuriousGuy

CuriousGuy New Member

(*English is not my mother-language,I'm sorry for grammar mistakes,I'll try my best*)

Hi, I'm 18 years old, just finished high-school and I'm a little indecisive.
    I live in Porto, Portugal.I don't have any history with sailing and boats, but I do surf and love the sea, I think I'm capable of good leadership, I wish to travel a lot by sea and I have passion for ships (Although I haven't been in many).
    Since I was a kid I've always been interested in the sailing world, so this time when I finally man up and decided to make a career of it.So here is my problem:

(Portugal is a nice country, but not the best to start a career in the sailing world.I know Holland, United States or England, among many others,would be better to do it.Therefor I choose the 2 best places in the country to start th career.)

Many people say that is important to have a lot of experience in sailing, spend time in the marina, do deckhand jobs and latter do courses of engineering to promote the status.I have my vision more focused on studies since I also want to have at least a Bachelor's Degree (I'm not sure if this is correct, I want the 5 years degree called "Mestrado", which means Master degree).

So here are the 2 places:

-Escola Naval da Marinha Portuguesa (Navy School of Portugal)

-Escola Superior NĂ¡utica Infante D. Henrique

Both are Universities, the difference are:

The Navy School is of course in the navy (very prestigious), there is a military regime of course, the purpose is to create officials that become captains in the navy.(I belive it takes at least 8 years to finish, and I belive,from what people say, my life would be sealed to the sea and I find that tempting)

In the "Naval University" which is public for civilians, It is more focused on Pilot Officers for commercial boats, it takes 5 years to complete.(Formaly for Cargo-Ships and Cruises)

Both have good practical training in old vessels, although the Naval School has much more of course, they use the NRP Sagres, a boat that is exclusive for the cadets in the naval school.

I don't really know which is better for my future life (in the sailing world),therefore any opinion is appreciated, please reply :)
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What do you mean by Sailing World? If you mean Sailboats? Either of those 2 universities would make you overqualified for most positions in the Sailing World. Most of it is hands on. If you come out of 5-8 years of school and don't know a darn thing about putting up sails and adjusting sails what good is that?