Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Burger

Slow Trawlers vs Fast trawler

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Oct 5, 2014.

1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Jim, I want to add one more caveat to this...If you'll start a new thread on this subject, you might get a better insight into your particular niche. I know dozens of people who started out with 100+ foot boats, and although they loved boating, the costs of crew, maintenance, dockage, fuel, insurance etc. became too much to stomach, downsized to a smaller boat that a couple could handle and do most of the work themselves. I'd be willing to bet that both Captains and Owners will testify to this. It's a question of finding the proper balance between the love of Boating and being out on the Ocean, outweighs the overwhelming costs of having a bigger boat. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is a very personal way of life, and it's up to you and your significant other to find your happy medium.
    In answer to your question as to my next adventure. I'll be buying a Viking enclosed bridge to live on and fish off of, until our company reaches a level that I can build the kind of boat I really want. There was an article in this month's issue of PMY about an Aluminum 65 footer, that had some very innovative thoughts, one of them being a stainless steel pipe and hose assembly that puts the sea strainer above the boat's outside waterline, and the Racors set at a level where they are installed makes the collection bowls easy to see without stooping or kneeling! It's things like this that I tear out, and put into a "custom build" folder for future use. Brilliant thinking in my opinion, not my folder, but it's that kind of thinking that makes life easier on board. Especially for us older guys!

P.S. Jim, I would rethink the single Diesel engine path. Although they're are dozen's of virtues of a single, they're a hundreds of reason's to go with twins... which could be and have been debated for decades! IMO twins are definitely the way to go. If you throw out 99% of Single vs. Twins battle, boat handling leans 100% towards Twin screws. Having said that, I've known Captains who can handle a Single screw like he had Twin's plus a bow thruster, but I ain't that guy...and I don't know many who are.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

NEO56,
    I need to shut down for the night and will reply tomorrow.
    Hey if you want, shoot me an email.
    Admin Edit: EMAIL REMOVED
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Jim,

Please read our rules - located on the wood navbar below the header - before posting to YF again. Do NOT post your mail address on a public forum.
  4. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Sorry about that guys. I simply forgot and it wont happen again.
    Jim
  5. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member