Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Slow Trawlers vs Fast trawler

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Fish Catcher Jim, Oct 5, 2014.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And a 25-30hp isn't going to cut it on a 16-18 Whaler, more like 35-40hp on a 13'.
  2. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Should of known olderboater that you would have caught that. I thought about it afterwords and we grabbed a tape measure and
    quickly figured it out. LOL Grabbed a stack of this years boat brochures and began to look at the 11 - 14 foot range.

Now I have seen a hand full of people with lund aluminum boats as tenders and this brings me to another question.
    Aluminum vs fiberglass for a tender....
  3. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Yep I see you too caught hold of my should have been in bed instead of writing post. LOL.......this one wont ever be under powered ever again.
  4. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Thanks.............got any idea's on the boat?:rolleyes:
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aluminum little boats in saltwater generally don't fare too well in the long term.
  6. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Thanks Capt J,
    Thats what I always thought too but i see a lot of them so I thought I better check things out since aluminum is so much lighter.
    I could not find my whaler brochure but was looking at the carolina skiff one and I beleive a 13 or 14 foot one would work out pretty good.

After much thought about it, it just seems right for we can explore or have fun but most important FiSh places like canals etc.

Hey what is your thoughts on a cummins QSC 500 hp (373 kw)
    Its a 2013.
    Thanks again
    <>< Jim ><>
  7. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Ok I know this is a trawler section but I want to sneak this in any way.
    What are your thoughts about the nordic tugs? Talking here about 42 footer and the one on nordics site is a 2013. Seems it's a big hit around here and it does boast of 8 knt cruise with a top speed of 16 knts.
    For me only one draw back....It's that single engine thing again.

How many of you truly would run a single engine and be at peace with it? I admit.....I do like the boat and the boat that we first found was a 37 lord nelson tug.
    Any way........talk to me please
    Have a great Monday
    Jim
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I think Nordic Tug can be an excellent choice for some people. Many happy owners.

As to tender, don't overlook Rib's as a possibility either. They have their advantages and disadvantages versus Whaler's and Carolina Skiff's. While we're very much in the minority here, we prefer jet rib's. But were we not to use jets we still like rib's. One problem with Whaler's is if you follow the horsepower plate, which a dealer will have to follow on a new one, then you're somewhat underpowered.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't have an issue with it. How many crossings are you going to make where you are going to be over 50NM from land? Generally in most instances if a diesel is running it will stay running.
  10. olderboater

Pluses and minuses to single engines. I prefer twins but not for what people often think as reliability. Many of the problems that most likely would put a boat out of commission are not significantly lessened by twins. Fuel, steering, hitting something or grounding.
  11. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

I am glad you brought this up olderboater. Several of the used boats that are a possibility have ribs. I have no experience with them and how do they tender with sharp fish hooks swinging around?
    I mean I know so9me hold air and that sounds like a problem waiting to happen.
    Thanks
    Jim
  12. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Jim, I understand where you're going...you want your cake and eat it too. I suffer from the same affliction...I'm sure a lot of boaters do. But, you might want to consider Capt J's advice, and look at a SF, they typically have a longer foredeck than most boats, and you could possibly look at a 14-15 foot flats boat. Nice tender, fishable, very shallow draft, and you can haul butt with a 60-90 hp. outboard. Although you either have to carry gas with you or have a gas tank installed with a pump, to keep your tender gassed up. I sincerely believe that this won't be your "final" boat. Whatever you buy, you're going to go through the "yeah, but's" phase eventually. "This is a great boat...yeah but if we had a little more beam we could....etc.", an on, and on, and on.
    After going through doing a new build, based on my situation, and what business dictates, I'm going with a Viking Enclosed Bridge, which fits all of my needs for the time being. There will come a time when I can afford to build exactly what I want, then I can go nuts and build my version of the perfect boat.
  13. olderboater

They can be punctured and require repair or even tube replacement. However, Hypalon doesn't puncture as easily as you might think. Still usage is important in choosing. Just like the boat, it's finding the right tender for you. In the 15' and under tenders, Rib's do have a heavy domination of the market.

And you start talking jets and you'll get people overwhelmingly saying no, but we love ours. Part of the negative is prior engines and technology. Price though is a big negative.

Many use tenders just to get back and forth from anchorages to shore. We use ours primarily to explore areas. We also put many more hours on ours that others.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One customer had a 50' Post SF and it had a davit and 14' RIB with plenty of room. There is no reason a 13' Whaler wouldn't fit up there or 15' Carolina skiff.......I honestly think a 50' Post would make a good Loop Boat for your needs. Fuel efficient at 10 knots (or less), and 26 knot cruise at a touch over 2 GPNM, very beamy, very roomy inside, good boat. Just leave the outriggers at home......good visibility of the entire boat from the helm. Plus you'll have 2 boats to fish from. Good range and good fuel economy.

If you're going to fish from the tender, forget about the ribs. They're not laid out to fish from, and puncturing a tube in Decater or Tennessee is going to be no fun. The Carolina skiff or whaler would work best (or similar) and they're both unsinkable and about as maintanence free as you can get......
  15. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Olderboater that is something I have come to realise as well. The tender will be used alot between going exploreing and fishing with the once in a while go to shore thing. Well you know, did it again and better go buy some fresh flowers before climbing back abourd. lol Some people just dont get it, jumping a wake is cool !!
    Thanks Again
    Jim
  16. olderboater

Well, we never use ours to fish and as we aren't very avid fisherperson's can't tell you what would be best. A lot also depends on your type fishing. Our limited fishing is going to be with a guide or charter. When I was younger I did lake fishing but my cousin was the fanatic and the knowledgeable one.
  17. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

18. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Capt J ,
    I do like the sound of that bay boat that is for sure. I mean I get down south there and I know i will have the need to go hook up with some snook, trout and some tarpon.
  19. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Seems the SF keeps coming up for a boat to use.
    Now then I hear so much talk about snap and roll and stabilizers and this and that on so many DE and SF boats. I admit I have a pdf for a 1996 Egg Harbor 36 convertible (running high) and had a one for a 50 foot hatteras sf and few others.

How would a SF of 50 foot or a little less play out going through the locks and such. How stable are they moored up ? I would like to keep my coffee in my cup as I read. lol

I mean at this point I want simplicity. You know what I mean.
    I know there is no one boat that is perfectly stable but you have to admit some are more stable then others even when moored.

Watermakers, inverters, generators, both electric and gas cooking, heating and cooling, laundry and so forth. These are the easy things.
    A better stable boat while moored is a concern as I know of some folks who constantly fought thier boat even in a small breeze.
  20. Fish Catcher Jim

Fish Catcher Jim Member

Oh and another thing I wanted to get out for discussion.
    A gentleman from Nordic Tugs had mentioned that they offer a sail drive as well as a hydrolic drive which runs off the generator if God forbid you should find yourself without power.

Any one have experience with this hydrolic drive?