Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Slow Large Trawler Market?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by rmjranch, Mar 2, 2014.

1. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

It seems that the market for larger (70 to 90') Trawlers is quite slow. There are several Doggersbank trawlers such as "Hope" and "Aisling" that have been on the market for quite a long time. Also several Northern Marine vessels that have not sold or have been withdrawn from the market. Are there just NO buyers for this size and type of vessel? Is it price, age, condition? General thoughts? There is a brand new (not finished for a few months) 92' Northern Marine that just came on the market. Will this be a hard sell?
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I was hesitant to post, but since no one else has, I didn't want to let a question go without a response. I can't speak for the vessels that haven't sold, but I am currently working buyers in the size and style you mentioned.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There's a lot of "silly money" floating about these days. Eventually the economy will balance out though and people will quickly tire of burning 200GPH, same as is happening in the smaller boats. I'm running a boat currently that we generally cruise at around 10kts with a burn of about 13gph. I can push our speed to 16 kts. at a burn of about 72gph, but what's the sense? I wouldn't be too concerned about the trawler market. Some other areas of the market maybe. If someone feels the need for speed, a large yacht is not the best place to try to satisfy it.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Owner of this might disagree with that statement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiP64rb9Nkk
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not saying everybody will feel silly watching their money fly out the exhaust pipe. Some people will always need to show off.:D
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The ones I know of that are for sale. Hope and a 76' Northern Marine.....the owners use them quite a bit and do a lot of trips on them...... So I think the owners have them for sale, but many are not motivated to sell them......It is a strange size/market for many in that size though.....because like NYCAP said, you can always go slow in a fast MY.......and many do just that in the 100-120' range....about the same consumption......so unless you're cruising very far and away, a motoryacht is very similar to a trawler if run like one.
  7. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Motor Yacht going slowly

Yes, you can slow down in a yacht that is designed to go 20 Knots and save fuel at 10 Knots, BUT the hull was designed for the speed. When it gets really rough, 10 to 12 feet or more, your 20 knot boat will be safe but VERY uncomfortable at 10 knots. The idea of buying a fast boat and going slow to save fuel has it's problems. In general, a boat designed for 10 knots will be happy when the going gets tough. I know several large boats that were just crossing the Gulf Stream from Ft Lauderdale to Bimini, 50 miles. Only 2 hours to Bimini!!! Half way across, big seas, slowing down to 7 or 8 knots, hours to cross, and VERY unhappy owners.
  8. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most people pick their weather and run at cruise......You can always run at cruise and beat a weather system also.....A slow boat will always be a slow boat.....and 7-8' seas is no picnic in those either......even though it is a better ride.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

But many pick their weather wrong, especially when crossing the G.S. Also, the destination and reservations often win out over "a little weather" that turns out to be :eek:
  11. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Several good points made in the comments, but the idea that you can take any motoryacht and slow it down to create a trawler is not quite the right concept. RMJ made a good and significant point about the vessel's performance for the hull shape for which she was designed. There are also the issues of range and fuel capacity, but also important considerations are the systems and redundancies. How thick are the windows, how high the rails, how many inverters, how secure are the furnishings, etc. No one elects to go out in bad weather, but most trawlers/excursion vessels are built to handle it and in comfort and security, as well as the peace of mind that the vessel will get to its destination.

Good point on these vessels being used - a moving target is always a tougher sale.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is true, BUT most owners aren't looking to go across the Atlantic. Most are doing the Bahamas, Carribean, and NE. Also they're not traveling on the yachts most of the time on that size, so it doesn't matter to them how quick they get there.......
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That pretty well sums up the difference between two types of yacht owner, one wants to sit on a pretty boat and the other wants to cruise. Much of my income is derived from owners who just want to sit on a boat in this location or that and it never ceases to amaze me.

Judy, have you heard of any interest in cruising the NW passage? Now that's a trawler trip.
  14. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Sit or cruise

Be careful to talk about ALL owners. Just came back from a 5000 mile trip to the end of the Caribbean. We LOVE to cruise. Boat in yard now for a complete paint job plus other work, LOVE a pretty boat. Miami to St Lawrence Seaway and Great Lakes this summer and back. Next year, cross to the Med and spend two years. Boat has crossed the Atlantic 5 times on her own bottom!!!!
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Some of ours wouldn't be called cruising and none of it trawler, but in total we covered 19,700 nm in 2013 on the water, including both owned and chartered boats. But there are those of us who use our boats rather than them sitting.

You say your boat has crossed the Atlantic 5 times, what size and kind of boat, if you don't mind sharing?
  16. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Jongert

24 Meter (80') Jongert (Dutch Built) Motor Yacht. She is really not a yacht or boat but a small ship. What makes her a ship is that she is built with commercial equipment, such as oil cooled shafts, to just name one item. Built with a German Lloyds 100A4 Certificate.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am pretty sure I had a look around that boat in 1999 in San Diego.

If they are Akerboom shafts they will give good long service which you will appreciate when you see the cost of spares, if they are then they are Oil Lubricated not Oil Cooled.
  18. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I have been an admirer of this small ship since back when she was owned by her original owners. She is very special, proven seaworthy, and has had great ownership history by owners such as rmj who have used her, cruised her, and maintained her. And she really is a beautiful, finely finished yacht that will not just get you "wherever" but bring you back too…in comfort and safety like she was designed to.
  19. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Oil lubricated

Plenty of yachts floating around with oil lubricated shafts, I think the 85 Burger with those very same oil lubricated shafts would be disappointed to learn their prized motor yacht is being likened to an old freighter. Lol.
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Attached Files: