Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Searay Sundancer Corian Countertop Cracking?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by gan, Sep 15, 2013.

1. gan

gan New Member

Has anyone had experience with galley countertops cracking in 2002 Sundancers?? We are looking at a low hour boat that appears to be in great shape with the exception of the Corian counter top...there are about 4 cracks visible that run beam wise [laterally] the full width of the counter - one even runs across and down through the sink!! They appear to be surface cracks, not visible on the underside.We have not yet had the boat surveyed. Needless to say, if not fixable, it may be a deal breaker.We'll wait for another to come along.
    Thanks.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

This is not limited at all to Sea Rays or boats. I only know because a few years ago we had one crack after using a crock pot on it. It was not that hot. Others have had cracks for no reason. There are some who try to repaid DIY, but also many professionals who specialize in Corian repair. Dupont offers a manual on it too. There is a 10 year warranty but you'd be just out of it plus they have so many exceptions and exclusions. Temperature changes are the most common thing blamed. Google "cracking corian" and you'll see tons of information and see how common this is. Dupont does certify repairmen as well. Ours was 15 years old and was very small, limited to one place, and we were quoted a price of $200 which I thought was quite reasonable. However, it gave us an excuse to replace it as we'd never truly liked the color.
  3. gan

gan New Member

That would be my next question of whether or not it is replaceable...I guess i'll give the dealer or SeaRay a call.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It should be both repairable and replaceable and the fact it's on a boat doesn't change that much. It's just going to be what the cost is and what is your preference. Resurfacing is also a possible option. There are people who do that all the time.
    It's a stinky process but it's done all the time. That would be a different vendor who would do that.
  5. weto

weto Senior Member

I've had serveral issues with cracked/damaged counters in class A motorhomes in my shop , either Corian or some other MFG's. There are a few after market companies I've dealt with to repair cracks and the like. No need to replace unless of course you want to or the cracks are extensive. A good repairmen can make them go away unless you have mounting issues or other damage causing the cracks.
  6. gan

gan New Member

Just as a follow up, I rec'd a prompt response from Searay customer service about this countertop problem.The counter is in fact, finished with what is called a grainicoat surface material which is resin based.Repairs are possible, providing materials are still available from a supplier.
    With my particular handyman skill set, I'll let a professional do the job.:eek: