Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Sealing deck not with fiber

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Noa Ramot, Oct 23, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Noa Ramot

Noa Ramot New Member

hi all
    Our 60 feet yacht was bought with a lot of renovations which we slowly do .
    One of the issues is that the previous owner didn’t replace the deck ,instead he placed a secondary deck on top , which is cosmetic deck .
    In the long run we need to remove all and start from scratch , but for this winter ‘ hoping for the next few winter ] we want to seal it . I was thinking of removing the second decor deck , removing the pvc that was placed on the original deck , take out all loose part , and cover with some poliuritan sealer and the place the decor deck so looks are not important ]
    Here is a sample

Anyone have good idea for what material to use ? I know it’s not the best , but we don’t have now the budget for a new deck

Many thanks !
    Noa - LadyD
  2. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Looks like the boat is wood? Probably suffering from deck leaks? If so, deck leaks ruin much of the good wood below. It's common to lay plywood and fiberglass over old decks. If the cosmetic deck is leaking, a sealer probably won't hold up. It would have to be thick and flexible. Otherwise walking on the deck will reopen the leaks. And the work and cost of the sealer would be for nothing.
    I owned a yard that did mostly commercial wood boats. I live on a 1942 Wheeler, wood. I put 1/2" plywood over the original decks with 2.o rsm and epoxy over that. It should last 20 years. Almost forever if cared for. If I was selling the boat I'd put teak over the fiberglass, but I'm 69 and done caring for teak decks. Mine are painted and so is most of the trim. The next owner can sand and varnish to his joy.
  3. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Looks like the boat is wood? Probably suffering from deck leaks? If so, deck leaks ruin much of the good wood below. It's common to lay plywood and fiberglass over old decks. If the cosmetic deck is leaking, a sealer probably won't hold up. It would have to be thick and flexible. Otherwise walking on the deck will reopen the leaks. And the work and cost of the sealer would be for nothing.
    I owned a yard that did mostly commercial wood boats. I live on a 1942 Wheeler, wood. I put 1/2" plywood over the original decks with 2.o rsm and epoxy over that. It should last 20 years. Almost forever if cared for. If I was selling the boat I'd put teak over the fiberglass, but I'm 69 and done caring for teak decks. Mine are painted and so is most of the trim. The next owner can sand and varnish to his joy.