Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Abeking

Sealing an aged teak deck

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by chesapeake46, Oct 30, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I did not want to hi-jack the other thread but Matt46Post said something interesting to me.

From his thread:
    " ........the yard I have use to put flexi teak on my boats in the past ,told me you can seal up bad teak decks on these old trawlers and go right over the top of the teak decks with the flexi teak as long is there isn’t any soft spots ......."

I am curious about this because there is a Burger for sale that has really worn out teak decks ( along with other problems ) and I thought what a job it would be to repair/replace the teak decks.

I would like to know more about the more about the Flexi-Teak and the sealing process.

It sounds like a band-aid type repair to me but maybe there is a technology out there that is respectable.

Anyone know if this is a real repair or have any experience with repairing these Burger decks ?
  2. Lenny

Lenny Member

I have an aluminum boat that we are now replacing the teak decks. I assume they are the same as a Burger, but not sure. The aluminum is first treated and sealed, then new plywood is put down, and then the new teak. The problem with MY decks, and I assume most old decks, is that the plywood under the teak is rotting. You can either cut out the bad sections, all the way to the aluminum and replace the wood and teak. #1 It will not match since you have old teak and new teak. #2 You have to assume that there is a lot more rotten plywood. As to the Flexi-Teak, I have NO experience. I would assume if you put the Flexi-teak over the bad plywood and teak, you are not solving any problems. We felt the only way to properly fix is to remove the entire teak deck and plywood. Sand and re-coat the aluminum and put on a new teak deck. The new deck should last 15 years with proper care.
  3. rpontual

rpontual Member

I believe he is talking about Flexiteek. I have it in the galley of my boat for 18 months now, it looks as new and my friends do not believe it isn’t teak. Glueing Flexiteek on top of rotten wood seems a bad idea, but it might be a good teak replacement.

If you decide to go this route, I picked the “scrubbed” version for a natural wood look. Today mine looks identical to the day it was installed.
  4. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I am not thinking of buying the Burger in question but looked at the decks, which are worn out, in my opinion, and wondered the correct repair.
    The boat in question is a 1963 model and the paint on the hull needs a lot of TLC too.

Although the Detroit 8-92 ( I think ) engines run well and don't smoke, I thought there was so much work necessary on this old girl that even a cheap sale price might be prohibitive.

Not to mention 54 year old systems.