Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Sea Ray 2001 510 Sundancer

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Dean E Kois, May 3, 2015.

1. Dean E Kois

Dean E Kois New Member

I am considering this model as my next boat. Does anyone have any actual experience on her sea keeping abilities, and also the Cat 3196's.....I know Cat had block issues on the 3126 and 3196's in I believe 1998 but I think after 2000, those issues were resolved......I presently have a 42 aft 2000 Motoryacht for the last 11 years and have had no issues with my Cat3126's.....Hoping the 3196's would be as reliable. Also, is noise level load underway?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've run several of these, and the ride is solid. Two people I know had the Cat issues, and Cat was Johnny on the spot with swapping out. Make sure you check the moisture content in the hull however. Although I have no personal experience, I've heard talk of Sea Rays sometimes having an issue.
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Your moisture comments can be quite misleading. Which model(s), what year(s) are you talking about? Are your referencing a history with the 510 or something else? SR had multiple plants back then, and not all issues can be attributed across the board.

The ride on the 510 was good, but I have seen one example at the factory Canaveral repair facility undergoing warranty repair for quality issues related to moisture. I would prefer a newer (2005+) 480 Sundancer over this model as an improvement in design / layout and quality , with still a good ride. But still, a decent Survey will check for moisture content and sound the hull as normal coarse, if they don't, get a new surveyor.

CAT became Johnny on the spot after some serious exchanges between the companies, and did lose their status with the SR brand as a result of the 3126 and 3196 issues. It is nice to see the CAT C18 on the new SR 65, an opportunity for both companies to go forward.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm not qualified to speak to specific models, nor have I experienced it personally. In fact I became aware of the issue here on YF. That's why I simply suggested he check into it further. My personal experience with the Cat issues are a client and a friend of his that both experienced it on their way south. CAT sent a team to them in I believe Charleston, made a repair, and then had new motors for them when they got to Florida. They were happy with the treatment they received.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Why the move from the 42' MY to a 51' express? What is it you're hoping for or expecting?
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

I run a 48' Sedan Bridge with a pair of 660hp 3196's and it runs like a bat out of hell.

Run the serial numbers through your CAT dealer to confirm the aftercooler service campaign status. It's not unheard of for motors to have a manufacture date that is a year or two prior to the boat's hull number/model year.