Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Sailboat to trawler, but which trawler?

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by SailorGreg, Jun 19, 2014.

1. SailorGreg

SailorGreg New Member

Has been a very interesting thread for me. Not sure how we got to canal boats from the basic premise, but lots of valuable insight, so thank you. To re-state:
    $1m
    Liveaboard, captain is 6'6"
    US East coast, Bahamas, Caribbean, extended time on the hook, Erie canal to Mona passage, happy with 8 kts or less

that said, I am pretty much in the full displacement mode. So, any of you have comments on the Kadey Krogen 55 and 58? I do know the 55 cannot handle the Erie canal air draft.

Thanks
  2. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Sailor Greg:

The reason the barges got posted is for your cruising from a European perspective and particularly a Dutch perspective you have perfectly describe a use situation for which a barge is appropriate. The problem is it don't fit your more limited scope of experience and what is considered the NORM for Americans.

Some steel hulled boats that would be a good fit were posted... including steel hulled a Hakvoort, a Scottish built Sprezzature both in excellent or solidly refit condition...

An aluminum hulled Lloyds built that machinery wise both a lifetime deal and is a better than you can do in any of the ones you have mentioned 1.67 gal per mile too...

A Burger built in aluminum that is excellent shape... and that would fit perfectly as to your use and being conventional and not sticking out in the marina...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj5bLy4wvQ

Why I did not consider you for a fiberglass hull is that that from a safety at sea and long term survivability with little problem, unless it is built from epoxy and either vacuum infused or bagged, I see problems down the line. Anything with an ester group also has the problem of the people living in it developing health problems. Besides an aluminum hull or steel hull can survive much better in the real world of bumps and groundings and scrapping. I have no problem with owning a composite sailboat that I use occasionally and for day trips but to live on it is a different matter. Your cruising area has lots of issues including hurricanes, shallow waters and a wide variance of water conditions from inland freshwater canal in a temperate zone to tropical coral reef. And, you are living on it... which means at times your life depends on it.
    As I said before in my opinion the Burger aluminum hull boats are your best ticket. They evolved in you particular use scenario and cruising area over a long time. You cannot afford a new one but there are many that have had great care and aluminum hulls with proper care seem to be forever and are easily repaired. Machinery is easily fixed and unpainted aluminum bilges are a blessing that lasts forever with only cleanup. I would not get teak decks because of the maintenance issue... and you don't have a full time crew. I would have suggested Lady Sarah an 85 foot one I posted a year ago on the re-engining... the owner replace almost new engines with "the latest thing" but you cannot afford it. But the 78 foot Easterly is perfect as an example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj5bLy4wvQ

If you email the YouTube account holder he says it is back on the market and to email him

Here is a good link to the brokerage and they specialize int his kind of thing
    http://www.galatiyachts.com/used-burger-yachts-for-sale.html
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

That happens sometimes. If a subjects gets really interesting and a valid point comes up, we may get carried away and the subject is derailed for a while. But our mods will catch up and drag us back :).

But Karo is having a point. From our European point of view, a barge type vessel is great for inland waterway cruising, as a true live aboard and depending on design and strength, very safe and efficient for coastal cruising and the old fashion steel once last fo ever. Shallow draft, low airdraft and huge living space combined with very low fuel consumption are only a few arguements. And most of all, some very realistic priced, great examples are on the market.

Back to your question. Nordhavn and Koden Trawlers are very similar in company structure, design and production methods and location. Both companies have a US based sales, management and design company and Taiwan based production facilities. Actually both production facilities are in walking distance from each other in Taiwan. But the Nordhavn company is larger, has fare more workforce and higher output, whereas the Koden trawlers are custom made to a higher degree.

But there are differences in their design philosophy as far as hull design and power train setup is concerned. There are fare more Nordhavns out there than Koden Trawlers and therefore fare more available on the second hand market.

The 58 is for sure the better example when planning routes like the Great Loop or other inland waterways. The Nordhavn 59 CP would be the equivalent to the Koden 58. If your 1 Mio $ is a hard figure, finding a good Koden 58 will be the more difficult task than for example a Nordhavn 55. The Nordhavn 59 CP is not available on the used market jet.

Maybe some of our members have personal experience with Koden trawlers. I only saw them from distance, when driving by the production facility in Taiwan but I have visited the Horizon and Nordhavn facilities.
  4. SailorGreg

SailorGreg New Member

Thanks, a a barge meets most of the criteria, right up to crossing the Mona passage. Maybe not a reference that is immediately recognizable to our EU brethren, but an often nasty bit of water between DomRep and PR. I reference it in the spec to weed out the inland/coastal only boats.
  5. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Second hand trawler market

I know, such a barge would be a real eye opener in US waters :p.

But seriously, I would take a close look on one of those Nordhavn 57 available on the second hand market. The boats production has ended but some very nice examples from 2000 and younger are in or very close to your financial limit.

The boat is very similar in appearance to the Koden 58, has an interesting layout and is a true passagemaker. The air draft is fairly low and can be adopted. A high quality boat and many used Nordhavns are very well maintained by their owners.

I am not related to Nordhavn by any means, I just like those boats and the philosophy behind them. As fare as boats are concerned, I am fishing in a totally different pond.