Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn

Rough night in paradise

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Jun 28, 2024 at 12:12 PM.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Got hit by a squall around midnight last night while anchored at Big Majors Exumas. Nothing crazy but 35kts sustained for a couple of hours from west which means zero protection. We held fine (116 Lazzara) thanks to the 400 pounder I put on a couple of years ago to replace one of the useless 200 pounder…

we had to dodge 3 boats that were dragging and/or had to raise anchor. At one point I had to put both mains in reverse to try to drag the anchor a few feet and gey time to slide to the side.

One of them, a 59 Sea Ray ended up on the beach against the rocks. At least one of its IPS sheared and sitting off the bow. Also a couple of jet skis and a large Brig inflatable…

Lessons…
    - summer time means possible squalls. Check the weather is be ready
    - squalls will result in big wind shifts making a normally protected anchorage fully exposed
    - oversized anchors and extra scope are a must
    - first sign of trouble start the mains
    - in summer, secure toys and dinghies. I never leave the jet ski and tender in the water…
    - assume you may need to move in the middle of night. The boat on the beach has a windshield cover partially on and no FB.
    - weather radar isn’t available on line in the Bahamas, website hasn’t worked in a year. Use alternate sources for weather incl satellite layer on your favorite radar app as well as your own on board radar by tweaking setting incl rain.

gr8trn, Lunderic, Liam and 1 other person like this.
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I wouldn't agree that the 200 pounder is useless....

Helluva stressful night...
  3. Liam

Liam Senior Member

These squalls here in the Summer Med are usually predicted by a low pressure or front (even weak) coming close by to the high pressure.

Another (old system (here) is if you see the sea tide going up by about a foot (we have no tide to speak off).
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow, busy night.
    Any idea why the dragging boats didn’t fire up the engines and re-anchor or just motor away from the beach?
    Have been caught in the same Westerlies a few times, once in the Exumas, once of Chub Cay,
    Sat anchor watch all night, got a BIG anchor as soon as we were back in Florida.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Here in the Bahamas winter squalls are usually the result of cold fronts swinging thru. In summer it a just the heat, tropical moisture being pulled in or throughs

pretty much every forecast calls for thunderstorms!

one issue is that Bahamas weather radar site has been down for months so you have to rely on the not so precise satellite imagery or on our nav radar. That works pretty well too
    Liam likes this.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Judging from the traffic on 16, the operator of the SR sounded inexperienced. He dragged or drifted 3/4 miles to end up on that spot. He started 1/4 mile ahead of us! I called him on 16 after his AIS showed him on the beach and he didn’t know where he was. Then a few minutes later he said his engines were out.

sad situation.
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup sad, and expensive.:confused:

When you intentionally dragged the anchor to avoid the drifting boat (s) how many RPM in reverse to get moving? No problems with the chain-lock, snubber line or whatever you used to off-load the windlass?
    Good job dodging the out of control boats coming at you..:cool:
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I remained at idle, those 2000hp MTUs put a lot of torque. I just needed a few feet to get out of his way.

I don’t even know if even moved the anchor, it could just have been lifting chain of the bottom. Not sure

we had a chain lock plus the brake on

I usually don’t use a bridle because I want to be able to maneuver quickly should the need arises. Like last night.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Interesting, the Nav/Running lights were on the NUC (Not Under Command) boats coming down on you.

I remember in my early years, in Green Turtle anchored out and a mean lil squall hit. I stayed on the helm helping our anchor hold.
    That Piece Of Stuff Danforth Hi-Tencel was quickly replaced when we returned home.
    New anchor holding now but several more times thru the years, I'm still on the helm, engines idling, keeping an eye on our station and watching many blow around.
    Thru the Abacos, Dry Tortuga, FL Keys, St Augustine, Jax.
    Seems lots of Stuff For Brains can sleep thru a squall or have not a clue what to do when it rains when their awake.

So again I have to warn all, they are among us, they breed and vote.
    You want security, Your going to spend some long hours awake.
    And the worst; They are taking the pleasure out of pleasure boating.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Wow, crazy night. I wish I didn't just watch your video. My wounded vets are arriving tonight and we head out in the am. Unfortunately a weather front is coming in but I have no choice as to schedule. They are only here 3 days. I probably wouldn't have slept while on the hook anyway but after your video for sure not now :(:(. I'll probably burn the extra fuel to get tucked away into one of the fjords here with a mooring buoy if it isn't occupied.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Over the last 15+ years we ve spent an average of 50 nights a year on the hook in the Bahamas. This was the second “rough night” in all these year. This also happens to be the most busy anchorage here in the Exumas, most only have a handful of boats.

I sleep well on anchor with oversized anchor, lots of scope (10:1 minimum) and an anchor alarm on the phone on my night stand.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you do not count you was a target, you are not the one with issues.
    Yes, you could of slept well thru it all, it is a good thing you did not.
    You probably wake up every time the boat swings from wind and current changes.

Now, the real scary thing that I have witnessed with others, their rode/anchor fouling with yours.
    Torpedoes come to my mind. Just don't seem to have any when needed.

So, That was the owner or guest with you that night?
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No, owners had left the day before. Just the 3 of us on board
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Stress is on "usually".
    In my experience, the worst conditions are sometimes created by local, barely predicted, thunderstorms.
    Check out this half a minute video that I made some years ago in Croatia.
    As the lightnings occasionally show, there was no wind to speak of, and completely flat sea.
    But we were very lucky, because we heard the following day that very strong wind gusts pushed several boats ashore, and even damaged some others berthed in a marina, at less than 5Nm distance from our anchorage...! o_O
    We could have checked all the available forecasts till the cows came home, but in that occasion, being able to sleep quietly or having to deal with a dragging anchor was just a matter of luck.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 4:59 AM
    Scallywag likes this.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is why I never feel easy anchoring for the night. I too have had several squals come through, 2 of them where I was anchored in less than 10' of water and over 200' of chain out and still drug..........luckily towards deeper water and was anchored with nothing behind me............
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

IMG_0645.jpeg I hat lighting… it can really ruin your day!

capt J, you run a large number of boats and have to deal with whatever is on board; most of the times this will mean undersized anchors. Every boat I got on had undersized anchor(s) but at least on those I ran full time I was able to upgrade.

I know that in this case, we would have never held with the original 200 pounder. It may looks a little odd but I sleep well. With anchor alarm
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 2:18 PM
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Not my picture, this was taken about 20 miles south at Farmers. Going to take a while to get this one off.

don’t know the name, any idea what kind of boat that is?

there were also some boats ashore at Shroud. IMG_2129.jpeg
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

82 Azimut perhaps?

IMG_7640.jpeg
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Definitely! Thanks. I was wondering
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member