Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Replacing Axis IP cam on Furuno Navnet 3d

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Pascal, May 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

has anyone replaced an IP camera on a Furuno Navnet 3D?

We have 4 original cameras on the 84 Lazzara i run and one of them is bad. Of course after 7 years that specific model is discontinued so I ordered the replacement, Axis P5514.

Furuno only allows 4 IP cameras each set to specific IP addresses. I set the cam to the correct IP address, it s working fine when connected to my laptop, along with the other ones yet when connected to the Furuno network the new one is MIA

I ve checked all the settings to make sure they matched the other 3 including allowing anonymous viewing. No luck

Then while searching for solution I came across a post on the Furuno forum where someone from Furuno explained to another frustrated user that Axis no longer makes cameras compatible with Navnet 3D earlier black box... and no other cameras can be used. Solution: replace the black box. $7000

Not an option. So has anyone successfully replaced an IP cam with a newer model?

Looks like a workaround would be to send the signal to a cheap computer and connect the video output to one of the monitors and use the monitor input selection to switch to cams when needed

Frustrating. I hate it when companies stop supporting their products that early especially experience stuff.

Any suggestion welcome
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is the old cam repairable?
    I'm sad to hear of another SadNet example
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It was was beyond repair as they were not very waterproof. The new one came with a waterproof enclosure which I was able to mount inside the ceiling

So I ended up pulling the camera system off the Navnet and setting it up on a PC. I had just installed an extra monitor at the helm dedicated to the FLIR so I just added a cheap PC and set up the Axis software. As a bonus I can now set it up for motion detection, remote monitoring etc

Just frustrated about Furuno dropping camera support altogether

Also because the boat is a skylounge and the helm has a overhang I was happily surprised that a standard HP 20" monitor is very readable even during the day. Big saving over the marine daylight readable monitors

Here is a night time shot of the helm with Miami skyline in the background IMG_5107.JPG
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Gad, I miss Miami at night.
    When I worked for Sea Tow KB, the back glare was welcome/curse running down to the feather beds & Black Point.
    Yep, FurNo has dropped the ball on a lot of options and caused lots of aggravation.
    I like your work around and the idea it may be more usable with cheap options.
    ,rc