Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander

Refrigerator/Freezer replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by enproep, Oct 9, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. enproep

enproep New Member

Hello,
    I have separate under counter refrigerator and freezer and am looking to replace them with 2, refrigerator/freezer combo units (current freezer is broken). They are Sub Zero units.
    My question is: can I replace them with any residential or commercial unit, or do they have to be marine specific. Will the boats rocking impede a residential units functionality? The boat has shore power while berthed and switches to the 110 inverter while off shore power.
    Thank you.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Using residential units is fine.

The subzeros are very good unit and can be repaired by any good refrigeration tech. Worth repairing. Other brands of drawers are not as good yet still expensive.
  3. enproep

enproep New Member

Thanks Pascal.
    The Sub Zero units are 17 years old and have already been repaired once. I was thinking of replacing them with something newer and more energy efficient. You are correct, however, good units are quite expensive.
    Thanks again.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

When I looked at drawers for my redesigned galley they were running around $3000 per unit depending on the brand. I needed two fridges and one freezer... almost $10k I got a conventional French door FF

Yes newer units are more efficient which is nice when using an inverter
  5. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I have a house type double door reefer and 2 freezers that have given no problem. The only issue is the reefer is painted steel (came with the boat) and needs repainting. I'll probably replace it with a ss one. I use a Magnum inverter setup and they run fine. The reefer is about 15 years old and no repairs in my time. I live aboard so they get normal full use. My usual area is the PNW to Alaska. I have rolled 45° several times and routinely travel in small craft warnings. In gale warnings a few times. Almost every port on the NW coast has a bar. Doesn't seem to affect the compressors.
  6. pacificsailor

pacificsailor New Member

I replaced by 2002 original Sub Zero with a new Sub Zero digital model. Same dimensions and very efficient. Still using the old freezer as it works fine.