Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Quality Problems - Astondoa Yachts - Spain

Discussion in 'Astondoa Yacht' started by RUSSLAND, Jun 24, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

From the distance it looks good....

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  2. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

We come closer.... 7.jpg 6.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  3. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

The boat is 2010. The gelcoat cracks are everywhere. Cost Euro 2M+ back then in 2010 when the contract was signed.
  4. Ward

Ward Senior Member

Is there any significance to the repeated pictures, or was that a posting glitch?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I know the cracks are very annoying, but other than them, how is the boat? Are you having other problems or is that it? Are there issues beyond those you are showing?
  6. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

Sorry, gentlemen, the repeated pictures was a mistake/UI issue. I have seen the cracked gelcoat before, but this is too much, for the boat which is just 5 years old. We have asked the independent contractor for a quote in order to repair the gelcoat, and the amount is .......exorbitant.
  7. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

Other than that, the boat and the equipment are quite well, however the engine hours are just 400 approx.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't just fix the cracks, I'd just awlgrip the entire hull, it should be less than $30k. Then you don't need to pay to wax the hull, just wash it with Awlwash
  9. RUSSLAND

RUSSLAND Member

Thanks for the hint, Capt J, however, if we decide to awlgrip the entire hull (and superstructure also, I believe) -we will need to scrape off the existing paint, right? Less than 30K sounds reassuring, however we need to get and compare the quotes from the service guys. The first shipyard to respond rolled out Euro 60K....
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Probably just sand it down really good, fill-in/fix the cracks, use the right primer and paint.....your painter will recommend what to do. The hull itself is about $30k, the entire boat including the hull probably around $100k here in the U.S., it looks like you have gelcoat and not paint, but again impossible to tell without seeing it in person.
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The stress cracks shown beneath the teak strip appear to be from impact, meaning the underlying laminate could be sacrificed. If you have gelcoat cracks in areas not exposed to impact, they are probable signs of structural flexing.
  12. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

I am having my boat painted as we speak. My yacht had a gelcoat problem from the manufacturer, and its purely a cosmetic issue. It looks awful, but its cosmetic. If your yacht is gelcoat, then you will have to sand it down (removing all of it isn't necessary), prime it with a quality primer that will fill what remains of any small spider cracks (I used epoxy barrier coat) and then 2-3 coats of awl grip to finish it off. For your size boat, $30k for the topsides is a steal. My boat is 50ft. and I am paying around $30k for the topsides. I received quotes of up to $85,000 for the same work. I would talk to a few yards, get some examples of the work that they have done, talk to customers, and settle on a price and TIME (getting it done in an agreed upon tome is a big issue as well...) Best of Luck, hopefully nothing structural is going on with the yacht.
  13. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I was doing a consultancy to a client and we saw some misused 15-16 meters sports yachts.
    Quotes where always in the 20,000 EUROS or upward for hull, and more or less same for upper structure.