Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Proteksan-Turquoise YOGI superyacht sinking investigation

Discussion in 'Turquoise Yacht' started by Marmot, Sep 9, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Trafalgar

Trafalgar New Member

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In short, the insurer, AXA, refused to pay the full 35M claim on the accident because they were never notified the boat has been modified. They only paid 13M

The rest of the article is about the owners legal problems in another business matter
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What were the "modifications", who did them and were they Class approved?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

New TV's in the crew cabins
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My first thought would have been some issues & repairs with the side doors during her first deployment, then maybe the follow up warranty work.
    But TVs in the crews cabins?

If I was the insurance company, I would be slow in pay off also. I wonder if they did get some story a little better than what has been released to the media (us) to improve their claim investigation.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My comment was meant as a bit of humour.

As we all know insurance companies have very slippery shoulders when it comes to accepting liability for anything they have collected a premium for.

New TV's in the crew cabins could have been being watched by the crew instead of being at their duty posts for all anyone except them knows. It would not be the first time in that Geographical region that a TV Set had led to the loss of a vessel.

MS Express Samina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

He, for some people looking sports on TV is the most important thing in the world. They just had wrong priorities :D

The only problem is, those idiots are the cause of the loss of live of innocent people and enviromental desasters.
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What were the "modifications", who did them and were they Class approved? Did the modifications even require approval?

It is interesting that the document amusingly referred to as an "accident report" didn't mention any modifications or related issues. Does this mean the underwriters have conducted their own investigation and determined a technical failure or cause that will never be shared with the rest of the seagoing world?

This begs the question of the entire purpose of accident investigation, doesn't it? An investigation is supposed to determine the cause of a casualty so that future occurrences may be prevented. Do you feel any safer now that the French have released that "report" and the underwriters have found a reason not to pay?
  10. Trafalgar

Trafalgar New Member

11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar New Member