Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

Propeller Question

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by TheJunkYardMan, Jun 25, 2013.

1. TheJunkYardMan

TheJunkYardMan New Member

Hey yall

So electrolisis has eaten away both propellars and we have to find new ones.

My question is, How interechangable is a three blade vs a four blade? We have a four blade but finding the right size prop had become a total pain in a donkeys behind.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It'll affect performance (thrust and speed), but if I remember correctly what type vessel we're dealing with, I wouldn't be too concerned. Of more concern would be what damage the electrolysis has done further up the line.
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

agreed
  4. TheJunkYardMan

TheJunkYardMan New Member

Dad's already checked it. You forget that my father's been around boats since he was a toddler and his father was a boat mechanic. He knows what he's doing.

(He's built the Trawler I'm on now from the hull up after it was left to rot.)

We do have to replace the props and that is causing some issues. We cant seem to find any the right size and in a reasonable price point. What we need is a 20 x 16 Rh prop with a 1 1/2 shaft. The one that we found online was 1k for a single prop. Um...yeah right.

Any ideas of where we could find a prop? Know of any boat junk yards in Virginia? I remember hearing about one towards DC but I have yet to look it up.

Also. While the stove works and is fine, I still want to replace it and that's becoming a chore. What are the small stoves in a boat called? So I can look it up better.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They're called stoves and cooktops, just put the word marine in front.:) Here's one site: Marine Stoves, Cooktops, Ovens and Ranges

If you call around to boatyards (not marinas) there's a good chance you'll find one with a deralict they'd be willing to let you grab a prop off cheap. Think I'd start with the yards down around Hampton Roads. You might even check around junkyards that are fairly close to the water. They could have some dumped boats there. If you're dad's good with a hammer and file he might be able to find one that needs reconditioning. Good chance you could pay a little over the scrap price. Also check scrap metal guys in your area and alert them that about what you're looking for.