Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Mag Bay Click for Comfort

Port Ferdinand Marina, Barbados

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Yacht News, Oct 25, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

It has been recently stated that there should be another megayacht marina here in Barbados. As most of you know, we already have the Port St. Charles Marina in the North of the island. This proposed new marina is to be constucted at the old Coast Guard facility in the heart of Bridgetown. According to officials, the aim is to tap back into the yacht market that we lost to islands such as St Vincent and Greneda and their ilses. If this new marina project is to come into being, it will speak volumes for Barbados as a yachting destination. :D
  2. TomTom

TomTom Member

new marina

on the presentation of Port St. Charles i find no info.
    Do you know the developer of this project?

Thomas
    TSOE.com
  3. Yacht News

No i am not sure of the developer/s. i heard it on the evening news the other night so i decided to add it to here s that every one would know what is happening here in Barbados-- Yachting wise.
  4. Yacht News

UPDATE on marina

A little more news on this new marina, just a little bit more. Well I can confirm that work has recently started. It wont even be as big as Port St. Charles but lets hope that some of the berths be bigger than what our present mega yacht berth can hold.

However, as stated below, this new marina wont be in Bridgetown but rather in the north of the island north of the existing Port St. Charles. It is to be called the 'Port Ferdinand Marina'. Here is what the exerpt on the front to today's paper says.

'Digging For Port'

The multimillion-dollar Port Ferdinand marina is under way. Yesterday, workers from JADA construction were on site in Six Men's, St. Peter, handling the initial stages of the prject. Equipment manaer Ron Hunt said ADA was in the process of making a temporary road. The existing road would be dug up so that a lift bridge can be built for ships(yachts) to pass under and berth.

The project, started three weeks ago, is expected to take three years to complete. When done, it is expected to be half the size of Port St. Charles.
    (compliments Nation Newspaper 11-05-09)
  5. Yacht News

Update

Here is some more info from the Nation Newspaper on the new marina being built in St. Peter, Barbados just North of the Port St. Charles marina.

New Marina to Bring Megabucks and jobs

The multi-million dollar Port Ferdinand marina is expected to bring in close to 1 billion dollars in foreign exchange to Barbados and create employment for about 500 people when it is completed in 2012.

That's according to its developer Bjorn Bjerkhamn, who is also chairman of the Jada Group of companies, contractors for the upscale luxury project. The marina, the second which Bjerkhamn will be undertaking in Barbados-he was one of the directors of the Port St. Charles marina-will feature 120-berths, providing access to large yachts and sailoats, 96 three-bedroom condominiums, modern gym, spa, recreation rooms, conference rooms, water taxi services and a children's playground.

In a wide ranging, exclusive interview with the SUNDAY SUN, Bjerkhamn and his chief executive officer Philip Tempro dismissed recent criticisms about the project, one of which is tht it will result in the elimination of the nearby Six Men's fishing village.

"Absolutely not," Bjerkhamn responded when told about those reports. He explained that originally there were two applications which were submitted to the Town & Country planning Department for the development of the area. One for Port Ferdinand and the other by the Ministry of Agriculture to construct a fishing port adjacent to the fishing village, utilizing the land to the north.

"It appears Government has abandoned those plans," said Bjerkhamn, who explained that as a result of the two projects and environmental impact study was also undertaken. "We have nothing to do with the fishing port. We will be utilizing our own boarding and we have nothing to do with them [Governent's plans]," he said.

He said there would be a hydraulic lift bridge constructed across the highway and a roundabout built at the entrance to Retreat Road at Government's request. "Because of the bridge we need to slow down traffic," he said, adding that it was not yet finialized if the bridge will be operated by the Government, but that it would not be operational during peak hours.

Tempro said the development of the 15-acre exclusive private marina, which will equate a 300-room hotel, will add value to Barbados' tourism product. "It will provide employment for about 500 persons during construction and about 350 on a permanent basis and that has nothing to do with the spin-off effects," said Tempro, who added that the benefits would trickle down to even taxi operators.

Bjerkhman pointed to the need for additional berths. "At Port St. Charles every berth is owned. There is no more room. People are asking all the time for berths. This will satisfy to some extent the need for more berths..."

Piece by Maria Bradshaw, 'Sunday Sun' Nation Newspaper (11-15-09)
  6. Yacht News

Update

Port Ferdinand is well underway. I traveled up North last nite and saw the progress. It was night nite and I couldn't take photos. Essentially Luxury residences are well underway in construction. On the sea side there is a tug and barge offloading granite boulders, assuming this is for the inlet to the inner basin to be constructed after the cut through the road. Not sure if they are going to divert the road of create a bridge or something like in St. Maarten. If I go up there in the day the next time, i'll take photos of the progress! The new marina is literally a stone's throw away North from Port St. Charles Marina.
  7. Yacht News

Okay, so to keep that promise I made, yesterday I went down to see the progress on the Port Ferdinand marina and I took some photos as well. Will post them as soon as I could. It is looking nice, at a more advanced stage than I thought.

Here is the master plan from the JADA Group, who are doing most of the work there.

www.bjerkhamn.com/projects/PortFerdinand.html

Attached Files:

8. Yacht News

Progress work on Port Ferdinand Marina

Tug and Barge being offloaded. Carry Granite boulders for the breakwater at the entrance of what will be the inlet at the marina.

Attached Files:

9. Yacht News

Random shots, tower crane sections, pile driving, distant views etc

Attached Files:

10. Yacht News

A look at some of the -to be- luxury marina residences...

Attached Files:

11. Yacht News

Spying over the edge into the massive carving of the rock that will become berths for yachts and the like...

Attached Files:

12. Yacht News

Just an update

Some pics of the progress on the Port Ferdinand Marina...

*note: these pics were taken while I was driving* couldn't stop to take suitable pictures because it was in a construction zone.

Attached Files:

13. Yacht News

and more...

Attached Files:

14. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

It looks very good thanks for posting, is that in the last Picture a bridge like in St.Maarten?
    And do you know how long this Yacht berths will max. be?

Luna, Skat, Bel Abri and Callisto: Barbados - New superyacht hotspot ?!
    only kiding;)
  15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

What is the purpose of the drawbridge in the last photo?
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It seems they are digging out the whole marina out of rock and the drawbridge will be the entrance when it's done.
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

That seems like an awful tight entrance, looks to be about 30'? What about the proximity to the road? Perhaps the photos are misleading.
  18. Yacht News

Apparently it seems like they are going to cut the road and it will become water....so the traffic will go across the bridge and I guess it will be stopped if a yacht is inbound or outbound. I am assuming that is how it will work. If you look at the masterplan on the first page you will see what I mean.
  19. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

Its very close to the port st charles marina, combined it will be a little caribbean Port Grimaud. looks cool!!!
  20. Yacht News

Yeah it is really close to Port St. Charles... You can almost throw a rock from one marina to the other..lol and yes what K!W! said is correct, they dug the marina out of rock, literally.