Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking

Pembroke / Calypso / Pequod Yachts

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by alloyed2sea, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I recall the original 318s came with PV30 or 32/ Paragon V drives.
    The book states type A ATF. Good luck finding that.
    Drain all the fluid you can, flush some if you must, and use fresh Dextron II AFT fluid.
  2. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

Hello. I guess this is an old post. It appears that you sold your boat to a couple outside of London. And now for health reasons I'm the new owner. Wondering if you can tell me any thing about her.
  3. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

I would love to put 454 s In. Did you change the reduction ratio ? Did you use the crusader factory v drives? Where there hic ups in the change ? Can the stringers take the extra hp and torque ? Did you upgrade the shafts ?
  4. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

Hello all. Admittedly I'm a new owner. I'd love to hear what you've all doe and where they are now. I've been able to find the last two owners of my new baby. Thanks all for your help .
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Crusader V drives, WOW, that brings back memorys, but not on my Pequod.
    Paragon V drives were original. No reduction change. We left the shafts alone also. New props adding diameter and pitch. Do not remember the numbers.
    Marine power 454 / 340 HP was cheap at the time and ran perfect. New angle iron for the motor mounts and large back plates. The tall inside stringers had no problems.
    We went for cubic inches and torque, not speed. Just give her some gas and the hull would lift on a plane quickly and quietly.
    Oh, mufflers. We installed, used in-line rubber tube type. Some of the internal baffles were deformed in a previous boat. The 454s were quiet on the boat, a lil rumble behind the boat. Not loud but a nice deep rumble. LBC owners luv this sound.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  6. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

7. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

Hello I have some questions if you dot mind. I'd love to repower mine with 454 wondering about changing the gear reduction to a 1 to 1 and do I have to up size the shafts ???
  8. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

Well that sounds pretty positive. The v drives in it are 2 to 1 . I have found a set of 454 engines that are 420 horse each. So I'm thinking a set of paragon direct drives. We have a local guy pretty good with props. I guess that's trial and error for the most part. ..... that's this falls project.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

420HP may be a bit much for the original sized shafts.
  10. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

I agree I was not looking for that big an engine. They have 50 hours on them..... maybe I can limit the throttles or just use comon sence. Lol.
  11. TechieTechie

TechieTechie New Member

Hi all...my name is Techie and I am in love with old school boats. I like later model Pequods and Chris Craft Commanders because we don't need to worry about a wood hull.

Does anyone regret buying a Pequod? There is a 30ft one in my neck of the woods that looks gorgeous. It has two 270 hp gas crusaders...and I am wondering about fuel efficiency, top speed, and handing at the higher end of the speed range (I am outside Boston, and there are plenty of cool places to discover in New England, but I need to get there!).

Thanks!
  12. MikeR

MikeR New Member

I've been looking for our old 33' Sportfisher. Was docked in Solomon's, MD in the late 80's/early 90's, which is where it was when sold. The Endeavor V. If anyone has any info, I'd love to find out what happened to it. Lots of fond memories of it.

Thanks!
  13. MissCharley

MissCharley New Member

Just bought a 1980 pequod 34 sedan. Our pequod is missing the ladder from the swim platform to the deck. If anyone has any ideas on where to get one. Maybe someone knows of a boat that is at or headed to the salvage yard.

I also do have a copy of the original manuals if anyone needs them.
  14. rustyboltz

rustyboltz New Member

I know it's been a couple of years, but do you still have the manuals? I have a '74 Pequod, almost restored.

Rusty