Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Painting aluminum structural upright posts

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Gary Subers, Dec 3, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

I purchased my 500 CPMY this past January. Many areas of the aluminum structural posts and window frames (and it's a complete hard enclosure...so there's a lot of that) look terrible. The paint has flaked off and the aluminum underneath is pitted. On the inside of the aft deck enclosure I was successFul with grinding it down, spot putty pitted areas, and rustoleum prime and spray. On the outside, however, I'm not certain. I know this is a common problem with Carvers because my 390 CPMY had the same issue. Anyone have any advice of how to go about reprinting the outside?
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Rather than me explain the process, go to US paint website, (awlgrip) and download the procedure for prep and paint of aluminum.
  3. gbarger

gbarger New Member

Here is the OEM paint supplier for Carver. The paint part number is for my 2001, I was told that it was the same paint color for a range of years. They would know which matches your year model.

Midwest Industrial Coating
    4910 12th Avenue East
    Shakopee, MN 55379
    952-252-2000

Qt kit is F8189, Carver white
    Spray can is A8189, Carver white
  4. Gary Subers

Gary Subers New Member

Thanks very much gbarger. I appreciate the info very much.
    Gary
    Thanks very much for the information. I will go there and take a look.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Make sure to paint the bare aluminum with zinc chromate primer prior to painting it, you can find zinc chromate primer in a spray can also if you want to go that route.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If painting with 2 part part I would verify that zinc chroamate is compatible usually alodine 1201 is the recommended product.
  7. Good Spirit

Good Spirit Member

Northern harbour lake of the woods Ontario Canada
    I have the same issue on my 3608 on the radar arch. What about powder coating? Does anyone have any experience with this on a boat?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A lot of items are powder coated from the factory. Problem is, to re powder coat them, they need to be completely removed and taken somewhere to be done, not an easy task with most items.