Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

On board the world's first 'gigayacht'

Discussion in 'Wally Yacht' started by Indigo2, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Indigo2

Indigo2 New Member

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah yes, old Rupert is back from the dead. I'll take three. One each with palms, elms and oak trees. Can they be ready next week?:D
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

NYCAP123 :D
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Someone should really do the maths on this claim of 5 yrs cruising.

What is the hourly fuel consumption and speed of this vessel?

If it's generators only knock out 275 ekW ( assuming this is enough to keep all the domestic systems up and running) the fuel capacity would be exhausted in less then 15 months without lifting the anchor and going anywhere.

If just the one genset were running for this whole time it would also need a rebuild ( CAT Figures)

What about when you pull into port and the country you visit takes away all the vegetation onboard citing agriculture concerns and restrictions.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"If just the one genset were running for this whole time it would ..."

If all the fuel went into a generator it would provide around 55 kW to keep the lights on for 5 years.
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The trees are structural members so they can't be removed.

Those other plants are not ferns.
    Honestly officer, the hemp plants are just used as feedstock for the ethanol plant on deck 19.
  7. coismov

coismov Member

Even if it were an accurate estimate, what purpose would 5 years at sea serve? Seems trivial to me. I would think most owners would want to go into port every once in a while (isn't that kind of the point?). Not to mention the need to restock other provisions. The 40 crew members might like some fresh food a little more often that every 5 years. Unless they also raise and slaughter livestock on board...;)
  8. Indigo2

Indigo2 New Member

Thanks for all the great responses. However no one mentioned the job title of landscaper. Although there are some salt toleratne plants found near beaches, It would probably be much more realistic to use one of the turf grass used. (Yickes, plastic grass??!!) I had a whole box of samples and some did look better than waht has been available previous years. I just don't see real grass. Can you impagine hosing it off and then chamois. Ha Ha.

I see it as another frivoulous attempt to sell a boat.

I had a young lad talk to me about a job offer he had received. First boat job for him, A 300+ foot new build to be delivered in July. 30 crew, and his deck hand position would pay $5000/mo plus all ben. and perks and all crew had a private cabin/suite. Sounded like a scam to me.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Indigo, sounds like your friend is about to become a slave. Wise him up, fast.
    As for this gigayacht BS the solutions to the problems are simple. 5 years cruising will be accomplished by nuclear (black market), solar & wind power, the live plants will be protected by a retractable lexan solarium, the food supply will be grown below the solarium and of course there will be a giant desalination unit to handle drinking and irrigation water. It's a floating biosphere. Oh yeah, biosphere failed. Well, as long as they can grow enough houch nobody will notice. Then again that might increase apetites beyond capacity. Now there's a problem that needs to be addressed.:cool:
  10. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Probably nuclear-powered.