Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Ok POST experts, lets hear some thoughts

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by strongfinish, Oct 22, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The hour meters are a bit wonky. 1500 is what the owner says she has. This is supported by soldboats data where she was noted by the broker as being offered and sold by the original owner in May 1999 with reported 600 hours. She sold for $185,000 at that time. She was back for sale in June 2005 when the current owner purchased her for $168,000 with a reported 1000 hours. So 1500 hours now makes perfect sense. Plus, as stated before she starts easily and doesn't smoke.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

that boat is a lot of boat for that money.
    good luck with your Post,
    You wont be unhappy
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

RT46 I see you're from LI NY. This 42 lived in the Hamptons from around 1985 to 2005 as "Bonnie K" and later "Golf Stream" Did you know her?
  4. strongfinish

strongfinish Member

Hours are one thing but the physical and mechanical condition are more what I concern myself with. Visually they look great!! They did start up immediately on a November morning in Maryland, although I wouldn't necessarily call it a "cold start", the block warmers had been on. Here's a video of the vessel at cruise, am I mistaken or do both motors appear to be blowing smoke?

Eric, I am a ridiculously skeptical person. I am NOT trying to take anything away from what you have told me, I WANT to believe what you tell me and my gut tells me you're legit. Please don't take any offense to what I am asking here, I never intended to bring you into this but I appreciate you participating
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

That certainly is my fat ass on the aft deck. I took photos as well. The place to look for smoke from a diesel at WOT is on the horizon behind the boat. But you wouldn't know that. If the block heaters were on when I started those engines, they were turned on by you or your surveyor as they were NOT running prior. AFAIK you saw a cold start.

If you want to know the true condition of a pair of Detroits then you hire an engine surveyor like Tom Hug (Google him) and pay him $1,200 or so to do a full engine survey which will include compression tests and oil analysis.

Bottom line is: this is not the boat for you. On the basis of your charge that the block heaters were running (which really pissed the owner off) his offer to sell you this boat for $50,000 has been withdrawn. 20161107_125022resize.jpg
  6. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I'm not familiar with the boat.

I do recall seeing a well cared for 42 Post from time to time at the Shinnecock County Marina, but I don't recall if that is the boat.
  7. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Sea Eric and Strongfish,

For the record, I have not seen the boat and I have no connection to either parties.

This seems like a decent fair deal on both sides.

The old girl sure looks nice from the pics, and makes WOT under load.

That is a lot of boat for the current agreed price.

I agree that there are some areas that need attention and work.

You would pay considerably more for a perfect boat.

I would prioritize the Engine stringer and take a closer look at that.
    Depending on how extensive, it is not beyond a reasonable repair.
    I repaired an engine stringer on another well known SF years ago and the boat is still running strong without issues.

Regarding the block heaters, I am not a Detroit Mechanic, just an owner.
    I leave my block heaters on all the time, they are on a thermostat and stay around 70 degrees.
    I do turn them off in the warm summer months.
    I would be more surprised if the detroits did not smoke on cold start up in cold weather.

The best way to evaluate engine condition is to hire a qualified engine surveyor.

If I were in the marked for an older 42 Post with Detroits, I would consider this boat at the current offered price.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.