Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Oil leak on ZF350a transmission

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Feb 19, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Today after coming in I found oil under the back of the transmission and on the back of the pump. Couldn't really tell what was leaking but felt like it was from the pump. There are 4 bolts and they were all tight. There is also some type of plug on the back. Anyone have an idea what might be leaking. Will post picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It could be the gasket where the pump meets the gear. Clean the entire area on the pump and gear and boat with degreaser and paper towels rags, put a fresh diaper under it, then come back later and feel where the oil is seeping from if you can't tell from droplets on the diaper.

The stream almost seems like it's coming from something else almost inboard or outboard of the gear as I can see it as high up as the label for the seacock and at least in the photo, appears to be at least 8" aft of the gear pump.....unless it was leaking as you were running on plane and the running angle caused it to drip that far aft, then that would make sense.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Capt J,
    I actually cleaned that whole area up a couple of days ago before going out on Sunday. It does appear to be something to do with the gear pump and must leak under pressure because for the couple days the boat sat nothing leaked.
    Who sells ZF parts and is familiar with the transmissions?
    Thx, Skip
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Only ZF as far as I know.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Well after cleaning it all up again and starting engine found a small leak in the transmission oil cooler by the oil fitting. It was dripping down on the transmission pump. Hopefully it can be welded (braised) will have to see. I change the zincs regularly so not sure what would cause this.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm willing to bet with 90% certainty that it cannot given your boats age. The metal is most likely thin from electrolysis and if you try to weld it, it will just fall apart. Oil coolers are not too terribly expensive generally if you can find the company that made it and get it straight from them instead of the gear/engine manufacturer.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Will have the existing cooler checked out to see if it can be braised. Called several companies in S Fl and NE US to see if I can find the cooler but no luck. The name is SeaKamp on the endcap and they are on the west coast but say they didn't make the cooler some company named RDI did. Still searching.
  8. PSW

PSW Member

RDI is the west coast MAN distributor and dealer. I have had good experiences with them so far myself. I believe they had the oil coolers fabricated custom for the MAN engines that were installed on all Cabo's. I would give them a call.
  9. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

PSW thanks for the info will do that.
  10. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Unfortunately the trans cooler was a custom made model for Man. It evidently was used on the CR first year only.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just sent you an email Skip.
  12. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Cskipr, I got coolers for my ZF 350's from Mr. Cool (248 960 7850) Brandon was who I spoke to. The people who make the coolers and used to sell direct are R&D out of Michigan (733 454 9600). Back in 2009 I bought them direct from R&D and paid 760 per cooler and that included a cooler that was heavier duty than the standard cooler that came with the boat. In 2016 a yard charged me 2000 per cooler from mr cool. I have no idea what mr cool charged the yard. The part number for my cooler was RD 9416 13 MT.
  13. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thanks I talked to them today. They can definitely make it. Looks like my old cooler is repairable. The radiator shop said the metal was fine, they cleaned it while it is out, pressure tested and will be ready to install tomorrow or Fri. Thanks
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's the easiest and by far the cheapest route!!!