Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder

Oil Change System

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Bearzgirl, Feb 24, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bearzgirl

Bearzgirl New Member

Good Morning,
    I'm looking for any info on an oil change system I have on my '88 48' convertible, specifically the diverter valve positions that would indicate which engine or genny its pulling from. I'm sure I could figure that out and document it but Id like to get a manual or diagram that shows the positions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Good luck. Just follow the hose from each valve and then label it, shouldn't be too difficult on a 48'.
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

try these folks: x-change-r.com
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

IMO, do what Capt J recommends. You don't know if the diagram is correct, or someone changed the hoses, etc Gives you chance to get to "know" your boat also. The open closed/postion should be the standard - open if in line with the hose, closed if perpendicular
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I agree, better to trace the line, yourself, and then mark the unit. Ours has five gates, one for each main engine and gear, plus one for the genset. The valves are marked with decals which I suspect were supplied as part of the X-Chang-R kit, but actually applied by the boat builder.

-Chris
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also the lines might have additional shut off valves at the gear, engine, and gen.
  7. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Um... yep... good point. For example, the line from our genset has its own additional valve...

-Chris
  8. Bearzgirl

Bearzgirl New Member

Thanks All.
    This is an older (probably original) system with one selector valve with multiple right angle ports, I just need to trial an error which position it needs to be in to get to the right hose. Its a reversible pump so once I get the right position I can label it for both evacuation and refill. Ill take some pics and hopefully can find a manual for this set up.

I was told that once I evacuate the old oil I should pump about a gallon of diesel fuel in the oil pan to loosen up any potential sludge and then pump it out again prior to refilling with clean oil, any thoughts on that?

Thanks again,
    Steve
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I wouldn't put anything but oil in my motors. Suppose you don't get all that fuel otta' there? nope not me. I sure would flush it with a lot of oil afterwards. I understand the theory, but without agitation what would the fuel really do?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

DO NOT PUT DIESEL FUEL IN YOUR ENGINE OIL PAN!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be able to figure out the valves to the hoses pretty easily.
  11. Bearzgirl

Bearzgirl New Member

Thanks I appreciate the input, Ill spend some quality time tracing the hoses and valve positions. The previous owner had a great set of files with all the machinery and systems manuals except for the oil change system so I still would like to find one to complete my files.

Its amazing how many old remedies and opinions are out there on these old Detroits. Has anyone heard of putting and mixing a couple gallons of old oil in the fuel tank to help lubricate the fuel system, injectors etc? An old timer at the marina swears by that but I'm a little suspect.

Thanks again,
    Steve
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just download the detroit diesel owners manual or stop by your local dealer and talk to them instead of listening to old wives tales.

I do have a diesel mechanic that will run his old powerstroke off of drain oil......as much as 70% drain oil and 30% diesel and all he does is pour it through a strainer straight into the fuel tank. However, I certainly wouldn't be contaminating a large yachts fuel tank with drain oil.