Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

Octopussy 2011 - still very, very fast!

Discussion in 'Millennium Yacht' started by mblocal26, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mblocal26

mblocal26 New Member

Octopussy is back in action. After being completely repainted during the second half of 2010, and the installation of new decks as well as a haul out and thorough bottom cleaning, Octopussy showed what she's still capable of at 23 years of age.

During the ensuing sea trial she ran 38 knots for over 30 minutes without so much as a hiccup. No alarms. No overheating. No issues. As the captain pulled back on the throttles, his ear to ear grin was difficult to hide. The engineer proclaimed that with some minor electronics tweaking, she may reach 40 knots.

As many know, in 1988 when she was launched as a collaborative effort between legendary shipbuilders Frank Mulder, Gerhard Gilgenast and Heesen Yachts, she ran 53 knots, making her the fasted megayacht in the world at the time! Since then, she's been lengthened to 143 feet to accommodate a formal dining salon and dinghy garage.

Fortunately, when purchased by the current owners in 2000, the job was completed during a complete refit that included extending the hull below the waterline and relocating the KaMeWa jet propulsion system. A HUGE and very expensive proposition. This process involved kevlar shafts extensions to move the jet intakes and exhausts towards the stern by close to 10 feet. The result? The ship's balance is restored and speed increased by over 10 knots.

During the last 9 years, Octopussy has lived the life of a retired thoroughbred, cruising the warm waters of the Bahamas or resting at her owners dock in Palm Beach.

Octopussy will be on display at the Palm Beach Boat Show in March 2011, and is currently offered for sale. See more photos, including interior shots and a video of Octopussy here:

Link Removed; Read the Rules

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. mblocal26

mblocal26 New Member

Couple more shots

Here's a few more shots.

Attached Files:

3. Range

Still looks great after all these years,

What's her range on which speed? I saw her fuel capacity was rather small for the 10.000 Hp I think.
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

About 41,000 LT...not sure what is her range...
  5. __________

I'm afraid she not reach a 1.000 Nm with that on 30 Kn cruising.
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well...her cruising speed is said to be around 25 knots. Either way you slice it she is a gas guzzler.
  7. mblocal26

mblocal26 New Member

Fuel usage

She burns 200 gallons per hour at comfortable 20 - 22 knots. Max cruising speed is 33 knots, and top speed during the sea trial was 38 knots with 100 RPM's to spare on one of the three motors.

Running on only two motors at 14 knots Octopussy has a range of over 3,000 nm. So you have the option to run her for range, or fly across the water. Your call...
  8. DBowman78

DBowman78 Senior Member

Very nice pics......I wish they were hi-res. Octopussy has always been one of my favorites and I'm glad to see she's had an owner that has invested the time and money to keep her in top-notch condition.
  9. _________

That's not bad at all for what she is. Not expected that.
  10. 14freedom

14freedom New Member

Hey All,
    I was on board in '90 for the FTL Christmas boat parade, one of my best friends was the Chef for quite a while...the Mate told me 350 GPH at cruise then, when she was 132'. Triple 3500HP MTU's (MTU pockets!)
    They chartered in the Med for the summer, some crew took their Harley's for fun.
    The crew nicknamed the boat "Eight C**t's In A Row"
    ATB-
    Dan
  11. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Heesen uploaded a video of the launch and sea trials from 1988 :)

12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Good find Rene! That was John Staluppi holding the radar gun.
  13. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    62 knots? Incredible.
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

61 mph, not knots. Still quick though... until he built The World Is Not Enough which was capable of 70 knots. :confused:
  15. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

Oops, my bad. :p Was the second yacht he built by that industrialist who wanted to make the world's fastest yacht by constructing it out of carbon fiber?
  16. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

I answered my own question;

17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

18. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

So where is Octopussy now? Last time I saw her was in a shed at LMC in Ft. Lauderdale under going another massive refit. Wonder what she looks like now?