Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Ocean yacht 40-42 reviews

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Forrest Gump, Jun 5, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump New Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are beginning our search for our next boat. We currently have a 2000 pursuit 3000 express. We are looking to move up to a fly bridge style to get more real estate in the cabin area.

I have started my search with viking, post, and viking. From all my search I keep coming back to the ocean yachts because it has the exact layout we are looking for.

I am looking for real life owners reviews on the 40 ss and 42ss (1990-2000). Looking for input on how much room you have to work on in the engine room. Any issues the 40-42 had I have to look for?

Thanks
    Dan
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used to run a 42 (or maybe a 43) back and forth to FLorida from L.I. back in the day. The only bad points I encountered were that they were light, and would pound in a head sea (even small ones). Also, due to the weight and narrow stern they'd yaw pretty bad in a following sea. Neither was a major issue, just her nature. On the plus side she ran like the devil all day long (29kts. from sun-up to sun-down), burning only about 23 gph with Yanmars.

The engine room is a crawl through, but everything was very accessable.
  3. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump New Member

Thanks for your reply. We boat in long island sound. The biggest seas we deal with is 2-3. Anything over that we stay put just for comfort reasons. We spend 2-4 days out on the hook. How is the generator noise? Just curious because the engine room is right under the salon.

Also how is the AC/DC panel and over all plumbing and electrical? Im pretty sure the head is a salt water head. Is there access to run plumbing to convert to freshwater head?

Any issues with gel coat/ blistering?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've spent a lot of time on the sound in up to 9' on crew boats and up to 6' or so running private boats of all sizes. The waves there stack up close. No fun.

The generator was on while running and seemed fine, but we were always on shore power at night. Sorry. Plus to me it's just kind of like background music. I never had any problems with the boat and we road her hard and put her away wet, one time making Miami to Long Island in 5 days. I only did the transports, but I did about 8. I don't recall the owner ever complaining about anything with the boat, and I'd talk with the owner regularly between transports.. All the systems are simply and accessable.

When you say on the hook I assume you're talking about in a protected area? I ask, because she might not be comfortable on the hook in 2'-3' seas. She's a light boat (built for speed), and slaps at oncoming waves. The seas come into you when you turn on the wind. I've never been in that situation though so it's just guessing from what I heard running into the seas.

BTW, I had that boat in 14'+ seas twice on one trip. She handled it and came through unscathed, but I never worked so hard at the wheel in my life. Again, light boat and narrow stern. On one of those days I was running with a sistership, and he was on autopilot. First I saw his transom and then I saw his bow rail, and so on with each wave. The mate was hanging off the stern chumming until I called the skipper and suggested he steer the boat manually.
  5. PSW

PSW Member

I think you may be discussing two different vintages of Ocean Yachts. I currently own a 1998 40SS. It is a good boat with impressive interior volume for its size. Engine room access from cockpit. Access to service engines is good overall but out board of engines is tight with saddle tanks for fuel.
  6. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump New Member

thank you both for your responds.

If either of you have any other personal feedback, please share.
  7. canepole

canepole New Member

Can anyone supply good or bad info on the older ocean yacht 42' 1982 to be percise looking into buying one? Would like to know if they are bothered by following seas like the Post are.