Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Cross

Ocean Alexander vs Hatteras

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by nutsforboats, Mar 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Responding to nutsforboats is the same as feeding oxygen to an irritating bacteria. Let him go off and find a forum that thinks he has something, anything to offer.
  2. nutsforboats

nutsforboats New Member

Capt J, I appreceate your taking the time to provide your experience concerning my questions. I certainly will never have the hours of experience you do which is what brought me here in the first place and I have no claim of being an expert.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It appears the newer 72' OA is a little better than the older 68' in terms of cruise speed of 18 knots and same fuel burn of 85gph. It only has 3 guest staterooms (which is low on a 72' where you usually see 4). Depending on your usage it can be a good boat for you. The overall quality is good, just not at the same level as Hatteras, but then again neither is the price. The Sunseeker 73' Manhattan is worth a look as well, but a bit more Euro styling, however they have an amazing ride and are very dry.
  4. Fall Rush

Fall Rush New Member

Hull Shape- the Hatteras is a planing hull and will be more stable in all seas, except really big ones where they may ride equal. The Ocean Alexander is beamy which makes up for a lot, but never gets on plane and cruise speed is 14 knots on the 68' so it just wallows around in a sea, side to side and fore and aft. (Which the cruise speed, disqualifies it for you right there.)

Cap J,
    Quick question; you mention that a planing hull is more stable. Can you explain?
    I've always thought that semi displacement (e.g. Marlow, Fleming, OA )were more stable and displacement (e.g. Nordhavn) were even more stable in most seas.

Thanks for you feedback.
    J
  5. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Guys, you are being trolled.

Every post he has made has a single *deliberate* spelling error. It's not accidental.

Delete the thread and move on.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In moderate seas where you can run either of these boats at cruise speed, the planing hull (being faster) will generally be on plane, have more momentum, the waves on the beam will have less effect on it and be more stable.....less wallowing from side to side and such....Semi-displacements and displacement hulls tend to wallow around a bit more side to side from what I've experienced. Now in REALLY large seas, the displacement hull will be safer and should be able to safely handle a larger sea than a planing hull (all things being equal). But chances of being in 10'+ seas in these boats if you check your weather are slim.
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Agree with Liberty, the replies from the OP are not worth reply.
  8. The Scotsman

The Scotsman New Member

CaptJ

The Soss "invisible" hinge is very cool and If you are worried someone will pull the Hinge pin and "break in" it would seem better... BUT... What about the Nylon parts they have? OR that Soss DOES NOT RECOMEND their Locks be near Ocean fronts?

Well they look cool anyways. I think Hatteras is NOT the one with the Soss Hinges.

So I agree with you on all your points... Quality tends to cost money and even the OLD 50' Hatteras yachts over 50 years old are still out there.... Says Something doesn't it?

Rookie
  9. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I think I've asked this before somewhere else but I think this should be quantified a bit more for a good comparison. The OA 90 is about $7.1M and I believe that is fitted out pretty well. The Hatt 90 is $8.6M but need to add another $500K just for the same engines as the OA. At what point does the Hatt make up the ~$2M difference? Less depreciation and operating costs?

We will have to see the performance on the 90 when it comes out. From the sounds of it, it seems like the OA has some pretty good value in it.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 90' Hatteras probably does the same cruise speed as the OA with the base engines. Depreciation and wear and tear. Right now, I'm looking at used 80' yachts for a very good owner I work for. He's been looking for 1.5 years. I've looked at around 30 yachts for him. All around 2006-2012 years. The Hatteras fare incredibly better than everything else when it comes to condition. The interior woodwork on all of the ones I've looked at is spotless, there really are NO interior issues. I've looked at several OA's. The OA's the interior woodwork tends to have a lot of blemishes and discoloration. The exterior and engine rooms also tend to fare much better. The quality is just that much better. Resale value is also that much more. I've looked at many other brands too.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The day you step aboard or never. As you can't financially justify any boat, you sure can't measure one vs another based on dollars and cents. Either you as the buyer perceive it being worth the difference or you do not.
    Eric R. Best likes this.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Picking a boat is all about compromises and making sure you put your requirements in the right order

The hatt maybe more expensive but the quality and sea keeping is better. Take the fiberglass fuel tanks... i think OA use alum don't they? Or the systems...

Where I think hatteras missed the mark until recently is with their layouts. Not enough aft deck space...

I recently went thru the process for an owner who wanted a boat in the 80/90 range. He was a charter guest of ours for 6 or 7 years on a 70 footer so we knew what he needed and one of the must have was a skylounge. That drastically shortened the list...

We lucked out and found an 09 Lazzara 84 which was exactly what he needed. Skylounge, 5 guests SR plus two for the crew, decent aft deck etc... great boat. Is it as well built as the hatteras 80 that was nr 2 on the list? Probably not... does it handle rough stuff as well? No but these two compromises are offset by the Extra stateroom and great fuel economy. We only burn 70gph at 20kts can cruise at 25kts and have top speed of 32kts

And a fiberglass keel fuel tank !
  13. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

Good afternoon,
    I will throw in my two cents worth (probably all it's worth) I have had a 1977 53ft. Hatteras classic MY which when I purchased it after the survey (which said it was certified for harbor use only because of condition) and made the repairs and remodeled her with a lot of love and money was by far my favorite vessel of the 34 I have owned. I have had three OA's from 42 to 54 MY and although beautiful vessels were not as well constructed as the Hatteras. The OA's were 1999 2000 and 2001 all had gel coat issues and the 54 2000 was so bad that I ended up having the house sand blasted and painted. The engine rooms were a little tight but the marking on supply lines and wiring were super. The Hatteras I would have taken on bridges and not hurt her but while on the Chesapeake Bay I hit some of their square waves and cracked a bulkhead and the controls area on the flybridge. Hatteras is American made and the OA's were not but now some of them are being constructed in Fl. The 72 that I saw at the Miami show two years ago was not very impressive, but I am not in that market anyway.
  14. MaureenB

MaureenB New Member

Which boat has the crapy hardwire??
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You're asking the question of someone who hasn't posted here since March 2015. Don't expect an answer.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

Does anyone have experience with a hatteras 60 MY .. I am looking at one....
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

yes, I have lots of experience with them and many others. What exactly would you like to know?
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH New Member

thanks Capt J... I am considering a 60 hatteras motoryacht .. we like the layout just looking for any information what do you think good bad any construction or ride issues.. My main use would be the Chesapeake bay although maybe an annual trip down to Florida or a occasional run up to Nantucket... I am an owner operator. looking for a dry riding solid boat.. I think we would want the sea keepers if we can find one with them does it need them ...
    really just overall considerations ??
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hatteras sets the bench mark as far as construction quality. They're a very solid riding boat and very well built. I wouldn't call them dry, but not wet either, somewhere in the middle. The last 60' I ran extensively was also the last one they built and it did not have seakeepers. It rode pretty well. I've also run them with the dual seakeepers and they do enhance the ride as well. You could always add them as access is there to install them.