Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Ocean Alexander 48' Sedan performance

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by seattleneil, Sep 24, 2013.

1. seattleneil

seattleneil New Member

I'm considering buying a 48' OA Sedan with 500hp Yanmars and would like to know what kind of performance to expect. Specifically I'd like to know what to expect for cruising speed and what the fuel comsumption at cruising speed would be.

If someone owns one of these (or a similar boat) and is willing to share some performance data I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
  2. Bob Desjean

Bob Desjean New Member

48'sedan performance

I have 500 yanmar's in my 2005 48 OA. Great engines. We cruise at 2500 rpm, 17.5 knts and fuel burn at 30 GPH. 1100 hrs and no oil burn. We change oil and filters every 100 hours.
  3. seattleneil

seattleneil New Member

Bob, thanks for your response. We ended up buying the boat, but haven't really had a chance to use her. Although she's a lot like my previous OA, she has different equipment so I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, and I hope this forum will help me get answers. Thanks!
  4. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Seattleneil, I noticed you bought a second OA. We are considering one, a 51' PH. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  5. seattleneil

seattleneil New Member

Worthyvess, We have been very happy with both our OAs. We upgraded from the 39 Sundeck (Aft cabin) to the 48' Sedan to get more room and a newer boat. The OAs are well built and well appointed. The hardware and equipment installed is high quality and the interior woodwork is top notch. We've been very happy with OA and I have no qualms in recommending them.

What year 51' are you considering? What kind of boating to you intend to do? We don't really fish, but do a little crabbing. Mostly we like cruising and just being on the water.

If you have any specific question, let me know.
  6. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    Seattleneil, thank you so much, I really appreciate your quick feedback. It is an 03 Classico PH. We want to live on it a few weeks at a time, and cruise in the ocean to the Bahamas. Someone said somewhere that they have come down in quality, but I'm not sure if there was an agenda there or not. In any case, this boat has been redone in Awlgrip, so I guess maybe there was a problem with the fiberglass, but dealt with. Do you use yours in any rough water? If so, how does it handle? Thanks again so much!