Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck Click for Cross

Obtaining a Certificate of Inspection for charter operations

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by turboguy, Mar 24, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. turboguy

turboguy New Member

hi guys and gals

I am looking at buying a yacht in the 65-80 foot range and am trying to research the process and requirements to obtain a COI for the yacht so I can carry more then 6 passengers for hire on the yacht.

Specifically I am looking at a 1974 Chriscraft

Has anyone been through the process of obtaining a COI for a yacht?

How much money did you have to spend to make it up to code?

How long did it take to get approved?
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I have no direct experience, but an acquaintance near here told me his charter operation went through the process to acquire and upgrade a Chesapeake deadrise boat in the 46' (I think) range... and eventually determined it would have been less expensive for them to buy an already-inspected boat. The way he described it, the required modifications to the boat (i.e., not the inspection or paperwork processes) were extensive. Sorry not more useful data...

-Chris
  3. turboguy

turboguy New Member

Hi Chris,

The coast guard gave me the regulations that pertain to a COI it ranges from everything from fire fighting systems to wiring.
    multiple fuel shut off valves & emergency lighting are other examples.

It looks like I could rip apart the whole boat to do these modifications which I dont want to do.

I would love to find a yacht with a COI unfortunately are only a few around the country
  4. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yeah, another example he gave during the discussion was about fitting new internal bulkheads...

Lots o' work.

These were workboats generally used for commercial fishing charters on the Chesapeake, though, and around here it's easy enough (well, not impossible, I guess) to find one that's already inspected.

-Chris