Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

Nordhavn 120 Trawler Yacht

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by 'RoundTheHorn, Nov 10, 2007.

1. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

I haven't seen anyone start a discussion of the new Nordhavn 120, so I thought I’d get us going. Pacific Asian Enterprises (PAE) has announced this model formally in the latest issue of Circumnavigator magazine. The new issue is available for download now and will hit newsstands later (http://www.nordhavn.com/news/pressrelease/CNIII.php).

The design follows the tried and true aft pilothouse styling similar to the N86 and N68. There will be four decks including the covered flying bridge. The article states that owners will be able to customize the interior, but the initial design suggests comfortable berthing, dining, and lounging for an owner and spouse and up to eight additional guests. On the main deck, the owner’s suite is forward and includes an office. The galley follows aft and is just forward of a dining area. The aft end of the main deck is devoted to a saloon with bar and small gaming table. Along with the wheelhouse, the captain gets a double berth on the bridge deck and there is a sky lounge with great views aft. The guest accommodations are comprised of four king size cabins with three-piece baths on the lower deck. Aft of the engine room are two cabins and a private mess for up to four additional crew members. The foredeck will hold two generously sized tenders.

As of printing, it seems the vessel is still under development as it mentions that the hull will be tank tested. Unlike the vast majority of Nordhavns, the article also suggests that the N120 will be commissioned at the factory in Asia and be delivered on its own bottom (shipping on freighters is the norm for virtually all of the smaller vessels including the N86). The article also states that these will be ABS certified yachts. There is no specific mention of initial pricing although the owner’s interior design choices will certainly influence the bottom line.

The N120 has the following specs:

LOA: 120 ft. 7 in.
    LWL: 108 ft. 4 in.
    Beam: 27 ft. 11 in.
    Draft: 9 ft. (half load)
    Displacement: 352.5 LT (full)
    Fuel: 17,500 gal U.S.
    Water: 2,800 gal U.S.
    Engines: Twin MTU model 8v-2000-m2
    Power output: 965 hp @ 2,250 rpm
  2. starty1

starty1 New Member

looking forward to seeing her

Howdy!
    Yes I sure am looking forward to seeing the draught of the 120.
    I have a copy of circumnavigator 111 on its way to me now so will enjoy the read.
    Nordhavn 55 is my favourite and was pleased to see SKIE at the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show on the Gold Coast. Fantastic vessel that i enjoyed checking out every nook and cranny.
    I hold my breath until i get the opportunity to view the larger selection of Nordhavns.
    The 120 will certainly be an eye full. May the price of diesel decline:D
    Cheers starty1
  3. 'RoundTheHorn

N120 Website

For anyone interested, PAE has made its preliminary pages devoted to the Nordhavn 120 public. They did include downloadable PDFs of the GA and starboard profile. The rest of the specs and content are pretty sparse, but will be filled in I'm sure in the weeks to follow.

http://www.nordhavn.com/120/index.php
  4. ronvanb

ronvanb New Member

This 120 footer seems to have a lot of horsepower for it's size. Most of the smaller Nordhavns have a single engine. I recently read an article about a 147 foot steel/fiberglass yacht that has a single 800 hp engine that still pushes it along at 15 knots. I understand every owner has different tastes, but I wish Nordhavn would have offered more information about engine choices and diesel electric options. Nevertheless, this is a beautiful boat as are all Nordhavns.
  5. 'RoundTheHorn

Construction Update

Nordhavn reports that they have completed the mold for their new 120 foot model on schedule and will begin the construction of hull #1 next month. They have few photos of the massive plug (in blue) and the mold (in red) coming off the plug on this page - (http://www.nordhavn.com/news/pressrelease/120_tooling/).
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nordhavn is going 120....:eek:

I really like these boats and tried to talk a previous client/owner into the biggest one they had in 2003.

Guess it was not flashy enough so he did something else, but I had some contact with the Nordhavn folks for a while.

(Nordhavn is Norwegian buy the way and means "The Harbour to the North"
    or "Northern Port"..Plenty of those where I come from in Norway, and no Olina and Ole jokes here Mr. New York Captain 123..:D )

Anybody needing a mate on this here Nordhavn 120, give me a call...:cool:
  7. denizci

denizci New Member

Nordhavns

Hello Nordhavners,

I hate to change the subject slightly, but I am sooo curious about why PAE had cold feet about Diesel-Electric engines after the applications on N76 back in mid-2000s? If anyone would share some info on this, I will wash your boat for free (j/k)!

Cheers,

Denizci
  8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Nordhavn 120' "Cariali"

The first Nordhavn 120' due for 2011 has been given a name. If you check out MCM construction management you will see that her name is "CARIALI". Does this have anything to do with current Nordhavn 86', "Cary Ali", like a successor?
  9. 'RoundTheHorn

RE: Diesel Electric

I think it was a combination of the reality of the implementation and the performance. I know I read it somewhere else and it is confirmed on Ken Williams’ blog (http://www.kensboat.com/), that the boat was actually converted back to a traditional diesel propulsion system after delivery.

Ken (previously owned a N62 and was the impetus for the N68) mentions this about the N76 in his blog…“I spoke, only briefly, to the owner about his reasons for the refit, and the bottom line seemed to be stability and maintainability for long-distance passages.” Click for source.
  10. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Yes, it is the same owner.
  11. Yacht News

Thanks Nilo!
  12. calster

calster New Member

denver colorado moving to west coast after retirem
    Price on the 120

One of the salesman at Nordhavn told me the price for the 120 was around $20 million,
  13. 'RoundTheHorn

Price Confirmation

That figure is backed up by the article in Nordhavn's fourth issue of Circumnavigator magazine in an article about the 120.

"Consider also that the Nordhavn 120 sells for $19 to $20 million, more than three times the price of Nordhavn's next largest model, the Nordhavn 86."

Page 70 of the printed version and page 36 of the PDF version. The sales and marketing tool (magazine) published for Nordhavn can be downloaded free from the site...

http://www.nordhavn.com/circumnavigator/circumnavigator.php4
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ouch, the 120 does not look good in my eyes...The vertical windows on the hull, the yacht stern with swim platform, same tail as a Johnson 70.

No expedition yacht or rugged trawler look anymore, just a big boat trying to be everything....:(
  15. 'RoundTheHorn

I have to agree with you on the larger Nordhavns being produced. I am not a big fan of the look of the 120 either and I really think at least one of the 86s out there is pretty bad. The original specs for the 86 called for twin engines with dry exhaust. The design incorporated two stacks in the aft corners of the house structure for the mains. These specs used to be listed on the web site, but the standard has since been changed to wet exhaust. I don’t know if dry exhaust is even still an option. There is a sidebar devoted to the extensive explanation of the initial choice for dry exhaust in the article announcing the 86 model in Circumnavigator II (still available on the site as a free PDF download – see the link in my previous post).

The second N86 named Aurora has a horrible flying bridge design. The molds were still designed for twin exhaust stacks, but since they used wet exhaust, they simply lopped off the tops of the stacks and have these weird box-like structures supporting the fiberglass bimini above which the sat domes are mounted emphasizing the strange look. Then the entire structure has been enclosed for weather. Overall I think it looks rather odd and gives the appearance that the design was done piecemeal. For photo evidence check out pages 5, 16 and 24-25 of Circumnavigator 4. One can also do a Google search for “nordhavn 86 aurora” and find a few sites with photos. There is a collection of pics from when the boat was up here by me at the Cap Sante Boat Haven this summer.
  16. 'RoundTheHorn

First N120 Sold

Pacific Asian Enterprises has announced the sale of their first 120 foot model. Delivery is now set for April 2012. Dee Robinson Interiors will handle the custom design which will have African cherry woodwork throughout. The owner just recently took delivery of the 86-foot Nordhavn Aurora (previously mentioned in this thread) and has owned both a N62 and N76. The press release can be found here: http://www.nordhavn.com/news/pressrelease/first_120/
  17. 'RoundTheHorn

New Interior for N120

For those interested, PAE has published a new GA for the N120. It is a dramatic redesign of the interior featuring relocation of the crew quarters from the stern to the forward hull, splitting the guest accommodations fore and aft, and new arrangements for the main galley and owner’s cabin. A dedicated AV electronics storage space has been added as well as additional laundry equipment, and the crew gets a third double cabin.

http://www.nordhavn.com/120/drawings/
  18. Yacht News

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]For those interested, PAE has published a new GA for the N120. It is a dramatic redesign of the interior featuring relocation of the crew quarters from the stern to the forward hull, splitting the guest accommodations fore and aft, and new arrangements for the main galley and owner’s cabin. A dedicated AV electronics storage space has been added as well as additional laundry equipment, and the crew gets a third double cabin.

http://www.nordhavn.com/120/drawings/[/QUOTE]

There are nice renderings too such as this one!

29_open.jpg

Attached Files:

19. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

[QUOTE='roundthehorn]Pacific Asian Enterprises has announced the sale of their first 120 foot model. Delivery is now set for April 2012. Dee Robinson Interiors will handle the custom design which will have African cherry woodwork throughout. The owner just recently took delivery of the 86-foot Nordhavn Aurora (previously mentioned in this thread) and has owned both a N62 and N76. The press release can be found here: http://www.nordhavn.com/news/pressrelease/first_120/[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that the man got cold feet and backed out of his deal to buy the 120', to the considerable consternation of PAE, and who could blame them? Panic time, for sure. A decision-making process is now underway at PAE to decide whether or not to continue construction; a wrong decision there could conceivably bankrupt even a good company, as PAE certainly is.
  20. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

The first buyer certainly did back out in early 2009, but they went ahead and finished the molds in hopes of finding another buyer. They secured another buyer in late 2009 and were ready to start construction. I Haven't heard how that is progressing.