Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Delta

Newbie with Chris-Craft Amerosport 284 Questions

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by SGS01, Jun 3, 2014.

1. SGS01

SGS01 New Member

I'm in the market for my first boat that I will be buying for me. I've been around boats almost my whole life and have driven several. I've driven a 16' Glasspar ski boat, a 19' Viking deck boat, a 21' Bayliner Deck Boat, and recently a Bayliner 3788 Flybridge Sedan.

All of those have been owned by my parents, and now it's time for me to have one of my own.

2 days ago, I found a 1988 Chris Craft Amerosport 284 with twin Mercruiser 5.7 Alpha One sterndrives. It also has a 3kw Westerbeke genset.

On the surface, it is everything I'm looking for in a boat, except I could do without the sterndrives.

When my father and I saw the boat in person, I noticed that it had about a 5 degree list to starboard. The salesman said that it was because the water tank was empty. I can see that, but you never know.

The engines looked to be in good shape, as did the genset. Viewing the cabin, the only thing I saw was some of the tabbing had separated somewhere. Tapping revealed a somewhat uneven sound, and that is disconcerting.

My question is: I heard that Chris Craft got in serious trouble during the late 80s for cutting corners in construction and even some wrongful deaths due to drowning, especially with certain models of the Amerosport line. Is this boat a boat I need to avoid, or is it one that would merit a survey?

Thank you in advance for your help!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK about the lawsuits, but Chris Craft did produce some less than great boats in the late 80's. They did in a well earned good reputation. With a 30 year old boat though I'd be less concerned about what it was like when manufactured, and more about it's current condition. The tabbing is a serious concern. More than that though is the list. Water tanks on smaller boats are generally mounted on the centerline. Full or empty would have more effect on running angle than a list. I suspect that list is caused by the gen. That's a fairly small boat to have a gen. I once moved a new 32 Four Winns that had a gen installed by the dealer, and it had a wicked list because it was mounted offcenter. The result of that list will be that it'll constantly try to turn to that side. You'll be countering it with the wheel or tabs.

I have to doubt that the price of this boat is worth investing in a survey. Instead I'd take it for a serious sea trial with a knowledgable boater friend aboard. Feel how she runs in different sea conditions. Do a lot of "S" turns to see the effect of that list. Especially hit some head seas and see how much the boat flexes. I once moved a 33 Sea Ray from the mid 80's that had a bunch of cracked stringers (could be the cause of those tabs breaking lose). It's radar arch was swaying like a Hula Girl, and the mirror on the anchor locker shattered before I put her in and told the owner to move it the rest of the way himself.
  3. SGS01

SGS01 New Member

Actually, the genset is mounted in the center right between the 2 main engines almost in the center of the hull. I was not able to flip the ignitions on so fuel level in the 2 tanks is unknown. Is it possible a fuel level discrepancy could cause this list?

Also, can tabbing delamination be fixed if it is only a small area, or is that a death sentence for a boat?

I'm thinking more and more that this is one worth passing on, but want to make sure I have all the facts before making the final decision.

Would this be a good candidate for a "project boat"?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

6 lbs. per gallon. On a 28 a lot can cause a list from a poorly positioned gen set or galley to him having all his gear stored to one side.

Some other guys here could better answer your question about the tabbing, but my concern would be what caused it.

Do you have a knowledgeable friend or could you hire a captain to go with you on a sea trial?
  5. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Great!

Ask the salesman to fill the water tank.

His attitude (reaction and wordage), as well as, the boats attitude after filling,

will indicate whether to survey or walk.
  6. SGS01

SGS01 New Member

Well...That went over like the proverbial lead balloon! It would seem to me that if he really wanted to sell me that boat (especially for the asking price), he would do everything he could.

No filling the water tank, no sea trial until offer is made and accepted, and not even cranking the engines/genset over to make sure they start!

The boat itself might be OK, but that salesman makes me not want to even consider it anymore because of his attitude!

Thanks for all your help!
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Always follow your instincts. When you get that little voice in the back of your head, listen to it. There are more boats than buyers.