Click for Oceanco Click for Frigibar Click for Horizon Click for Nautical Structures Click for Alexseal

New York state Canal system will celebrate bicentenial in 2017

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by chris bulla, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:01 AM.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chris bulla

chris bulla New Member

Hi there any one looking for a great boating vacation should check out the N.Y. S. Canal System in 2017 . Construction began July 4 1817 in Rome NY.This year marks 200 hundred years of navigation from May to end of November every year since . There are four canals still in operation The Erie, Oswego , Champlain and Cayuga and Seneca for a total of 545 miles of connected fully navigable canals . Start your search at NYScanals .gov. and come boat through history and the many impressive features of any canal system in the world.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

The question I'd have is whether this is going to create extra traffic and, if so, how much. Obviously, hard to know as this is the first 200 year celebration they've had.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

vertical clearance?
  4. olderboater

5. chris bulla

chris bulla New Member

Champlain and Erie from Waterford to Three rivers / Erie -Oswego Canal junction is twenty feet at maximum navigable pool Three rivers to Lockport is unfortunately only 15.5 feet . Locks are 300x 45 feet .
  6. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

7. olderboater

It will be interesting with the double hit of celebrations. Glad we looped in 2016. The celebrations will be nice, but not necessarily the traffic.
  8. Prospective

Prospective New Member

The best cruise I ever did was with my family from RI, up the Champlain all the way to Canada and back on our old Tiara a few years back. The canal was awesome except for a rock I hit in Fort Edwards that caused an unplanned stopover at Coyemans landing to get my props repaired (Those folks are life savers). Lock operators were very friendly and helpful. I was amazed at how few boats were on the canal. No problem getting space at night and hardly saw anyone during the day. Truly a boating highlight for me.