Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Frigibar Click for Christensen

New Project 79 Chris Craft 22' CC Dory

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Constellations & Catalinas' started by Trapshot, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Have you considered using synthetic coring for the deck and stuff in an attempt to get it to sit higher and be able to self bail?
  2. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

My plan is to use 3/4 marine plywood over the existing deck, with new stringers and beams that match the height of the existing deck, everything epoxied.
    Then add 2 layers of glass to the top. Trying to rebuild a new deck with new core would be difficult unless I make it up as a sheet and cut to size. I think its more work than the first method, but we will see. I did new core on a Bristol 32 and then plywood on a Gulfstar 39 and the ply was the way to go.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You do not want to put anything over the rotted deck you have. You will end up with garbage in the bilge forever. I would buy sheets of divinycel or similar, cut the sheets to fit with some space around the edge, glass the bottom and sides of it with 2 layers of thin matting, then glass the top and tie it into the hull sides.

Why is plywood the way to go?
  4. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

I have been a woodworker my whole life and I know wood. My boat builder suggested marine ply on the previous project. I don know much about divinycel
    bur will research it.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can save a lot of weight with coring instead of wood and also not have it rot and more strength. However if you have something like a leaning post or seats to mount, I'd recommend glassing in a thin sheet of aluminum in that area for the screws to mount to.
  6. David Hoder

David Hoder New Member

The boat builder thinks one half inch marine ply will be good. I concurr.
  7. Chip eichhorn

Chip eichhorn New Member

Just joined the thread. I bought a 79 cuddy- my dream boat (sort of). Has anyone ever converted a cuddy model back to a center console? My plan is to change it after my daughter gets over the novelty of the boats "downstairs"
  8. Chip eichhorn

Chip eichhorn New Member

Just picked up a 22' cuddy model 1979
    Has anyone a lead on a center console? I hope to get another year as a cuddy and then switch it to a cc
  9. Chip eichhorn

Chip eichhorn New Member

10. Chip eichhorn

Chip eichhorn New Member

Iron man
    I'm in shark river hills. Only two dories left here in shark river. Glad to know they're still in the area
    I might want to check out your console someday
    Chip