Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Perko

New Millennium 140' - you've gotta see this!

Discussion in 'Millennium Yacht' started by YachtForums, Aug 23, 2004.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Either this thing's got more acceleration than the Space Shuttle or they just launched off a rogue wave! My thanks to John Schmiemann at Millennium Yachts for supplying these pics as soon as the boat re-entered orbit.

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

Looks like they slowed down to their cruising speed, which is 45 mph!!

Attached Files:

3. John B

John B Senior Member

Looks like it could use some trim tabs.

Do they make tabs for a 140' yacht?!?
  4. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Looks like they'd need 10' x 12' sheets of kevlar and 3000 psi hydraulic rams to make a set of trim tabs for this beauty. That's quite a bow rise--I wonder if it was on plane or accelerating?
  5. YachtForums

I've seen some other pics of the 140 running in the 40-50 knot range. It runs straight and level. The picture above must have been from an extreme tab position or maybe launching off a swell, however the water looks relatively calm in that picture. There's certainly enough horsepower under the hood to pull a wheelie, given the 75 mph this 140' monster is expected to hit.

Powered by a combination of Man/BW diesels and Lycoming jet turbines, all driving Lipps water jets, that kind of horsepower in conjunction with jet pumps could probably produce acceleration that results in a moon-shot bow rise. :D
  6. marcusra

marcusra Member

That´s a nice one!! 140 feet yacht lifting of like that!! Anyone that knows were you can find more pics. and specs. of that "MELLENIUM"
    Any homepage of the shipyard etc??
  7. YachtForums

Just click on their banner when it pops up on YachtForums. :)
  8. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

Look at the air it's getting in the first picture!!! I wouldn't want to be on the bow at that time, haha.

I read in one of my yacht magazines that it's range is 750 miles when at top speed (15,000 gallon tank capacity). That's 20 gallons a mile! :eek:
  9. marcusra

marcusra Member

What banner... can't see any??

I think "Merle wood.." Florida is the agent for Mellenium but they don't show anything on their hompage.
  10. YachtForums

As you click through pages on YachtForums, you'll see different banners with each page. They rotate randomly. There are 50 banners from 25 manufacturers on the site. When you see the Millennium banner, just click on it and you'll be directed to their site. Or, click here... :)

http://www.millenniumyachts.com
  11. marcusra

marcusra Member

OK I will try that one then... Thanks!!!!
  12. marcusra

marcusra Member

185' / 150 knots & TRANS-ATLANTIC RANGE!!!

What about this one!!!

185 feet, 150 knots and TRANS-ATLANTIC RANGE!!!

Some other facts:

Dimensions

LOA: 185' LWL: 156' Beam: 30' 1"
    Displacement: 560000 Draft: 7'

Engines

Engine(s): GE Gas Turbines Engine(s) HP: 19000 Engine Model: LM 1600

Max Speed: 150 Knots

Tankage

Fuel: 25000 Water: 5000

Hull Material: Aluminum

Not to much of a flyingbridge maby... but there's plenty of room under the foredeck I'm shure!!

What about beating every CIGARETTE and APACHE powerboat
    .....whit Your MEGA-YACHT??

Forgot to tell you.... This is not just a fantasy-project:

IT'S for sale right now!!

Current Price: US$ 35,000,000
    Located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

(Yacht-world.com)

Attached Files:

13. YachtForums

150 mph? Highly speculative and theoretically questionable. Jet pumps grow exponentially less efficient as speed increases....

Jet pumps are marvels of concentrated thrust up to certain speeds. Above these speeds (and this varies with hull design, weight and horsepower) jet pumps aerate. They do not run fully loaded at higher speeds. They ventilate, thus inducing air into the equation. Because the amount of water available for acceleration (remember water can not be compressed only accelerated) at higher speeds is reduced, due to the introduction of air, there is less water volume available to convert to thrust.

At certain speed thresholds (again, this varies), the hull will develope so much lift, that the vacuum created by the pump is no longer capable of bringing in the volume of water necessary to maintain adequate thrust, due to hydrodynamic lift shifting further aft and water trying to by-pass the intake gullet at higher speeds, which contributes to increased ventilation.

An enormous amount of vacuum must be generated to offset increased aeration, as speed increases. However, that same vacuum is creating downforce on the hull. This results in increasing hydrodynamic drag, further compounding the scenario.

Adding further complications to this fantasy.... 3 jet pumps. As speed increases, and thus hull lift increases, the outboard edges of the hull (or chines) run dry. The outboard pumps would loose efficiency very quickly.

The model is as far as the concept is going... sorry.
  14. brianwill

brianwill New Member

Sure wouldn't want to hit something at these speeds. I wonder what the hull layup is.
  15. YachtForums

Hey Brian!

The listing sheet quotes aluminum. When you think about it, it's really the only logical choice. Steel would be too heavy and fiberglass would require a mold, which would be cost prohibitive, unless possibly... it was going into production. That's not likely to happen! :D :eek:

To marcusra... thanks for finding this and posting it! :)
  16. marcusra

marcusra Member

- 150 knots = 174mph is questionable allright!!! This speeds are usually reached by highpower speed-cats on lakes with absolute flat water!!? Very Hard to imagine those speeds in 40-65ft seas in the middle of the Atlantic!!!? -

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm not quite sure about your first part??

Propellers grow exponentially less efficient as speed increases,
    BUT i would say that waterjets does the opposit, they grows more efficient when the speed increases!! (But they are useless at low speeds)
    This because waterjets takes its water from the layer just under the hull.
    This layer of water has a thicknes depending on lots of parameters, like Hull-lenght deplacement, shape of the hull etc.
    The big point is that this layer relative to the hull has no speed (like it's following the hull). So the waterjet always accelerates zero-speed water through the jet. But a propeller has to accelerate water that has the speed of the boat (coming against the boat) to increase its speed!!!

Then I'm sure a big problem for this yacht is if the intakes leave the suface of the sea.
    This problem is very clear when you for example ride a watercraft (SeaDoo etc.) They goes faster with more people on them, because the intake to the jet stays under the water for "longer" periods then? Smallest wave in great speed and it lifts of and gets air through the jet = speed drops and the engine gets lots of RPM (not sure of the tecnical word... OVERRIDE maby??? ) A good thing is that normal engines usually got "override"-protection.

The question is: Does Gastubines have this type of equipment installed???
  17. YachtForums

Well... if you say so. What do I know about this stuff! I'm just the administrator here. However, I looked inside a jet pump once. All kinds of things going on there! ;)

Just out of curiosity... where did you learn this? :eek:
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

From what I know, there has never been a waterjet faster than a prop boat. Generally the jets lose efficiency around 65-75 knots, probably due to lack of water through the intakes, and also that there hasn´t been a demand to develop waterjets for boats faster than that.
    To build a boat like the pictured you can use composite as well as aluminium, a mold is not necessary, but the price tag of USD 35 m will not last long in any case if it should include turbines and whatever will drive it forward even if the speed requirements were downrated to a more realistic 100 knots.
    Without having the figures of Destriero right now, I think she was more expensive than that and she had a top speed somewhere just over 70 knots...
  19. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

I know the Miss Budweiser hydroplane uses a helicopter turbine, but is connected to a shaft with a prop. They've been known to go near 200 mph. I don't think it would work in the case of the 150' yacht because it would weigh too much (the hydroplanes are basically wood and fiberglass).

Also, it might go that fast if it used thrust from turbines instead of water jets. Russia used this idea when they built the Ekranoplans that were the size of airplanes, but could travel on water at 400 km/h (about 250 mph!). They skimmed the surface of the water and didn't penetrate it as much as a regular boat would. I think this concept would only work on this yacht if it had wings to provide downforce or lift when necessary. http://www.gizmohighway.com/transport/ekranoplan.htm

-Al (wants an Ekranoplan :) and a hydroplane for good measure :D )
  20. YachtForums

You are both right AMG and Nismo...

... and I say this because I know a little more than Jessica Simpson on the subject. ;)

I spent 15 years in high speed jet pump development working for Ameriquest Technologies (a Department of the Navy funded research group), Lockheed and Bombardier. During my tenure with Ameriquest, most of my work was concentrated on high speed jet pump development, specifically in the speed echelons we're discussing.

I developed a number of new technologies along the way, including.... intake gullet enlargement/reduction systems, dual-stage axial flow pumps, reflex impeller and stator technology, variable geometry venturis, surface piercing jet pump drives and a variety of thrust vectoring systems.

Contrary to a previous post... jet pumps are capable of providing superior thrust and acceleration, due to their ability to encapsulate (shroud) water and accelerate this flow through a venturi (a venturi is an accelerator), but they DO grow less efficient with increased speed.

That being said... there are designs that have proven favorable for high speed applications, although none of them have ever been made commercially available.

While most of our research was done on a considerably smaller scale than the new Millennium or this "Ventaur Venture", the principles remain the same. I won't expand too much on this... ;)