Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Comfort

New Huisman owner

Discussion in 'Royal Huisman Yacht' started by Andrew Ellis, Apr 19, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Andrew Ellis

Andrew Ellis New Member

From the latest and greatest to one of the oldest and smallest, I am proud to say I have just bought a Huisman 51ft aluminium ketch. Built by Wolter Huisman himself in 1972 and refitted by Moody's she is a Laurent Giles designed classic currently called Via Maris. I will be changing her name and she is about to go into a 1-year refit in Holland.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Very nice, very classy. :)

How extensive a refit is planned?
  3. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

Congrats ! It's a real beauty !
  4. Andrew Ellis

Andrew Ellis New Member

Initially I will concentrate on the interior keeping us much of the original teak work as possible. The salon area will be widened removing the two single berths. The aft master cabin will be extended into the lazarette to make a larger bed and a new head/shower will be created. Masts will be updated with furling booms on main and mizzen. Steering pedestal will be updated and moved forward slightly. Dinghy davits will be fitted and a small bathing platform. The generator will be moved from the engine room to the lazarette and a new Mastervolt energy management system fitted. Before final sandblasting and Awlgripping, a watermaker, airconditioning and a hydraulic bowthruster to be fitted.

She has been used as a sail training ship for the last 2-3 years and is in need of some tlc but a very sound boat. Easily sailed by 2 I want her better equipped for solo sailing.
  5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Congratulations.
    Sounds like a doable project to achieve single handed capability.
    Enjoy.
  6. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Post some pictures of it when it is completed :D
  7. V65

V65 Senior Member

Congratulations Andrew:)
  8. swabby72

swabby72 New Member

I had the opportunity to work as crew for the new owner in 1972-73. Two Atlantic crossings before returning to Moodys for adjustments. The port bunk was mine. Interesting that you have the same surname as the original owner.
  9. ellis000

ellis000 New Member

Bucephalus

After 3 years restoration/refit and 3 years cruising the med, this is Bucephalus as she now looks

Attached Files:

10. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

Cool! Thanks for sharing this picture. She looks very nice!

I wish you a lot of fun and happiness with your yacht :)
  11. ellis000

ellis000 New Member

Thanks, I've had a great time cruising all the hot spots in the Med. She is being sailed back to Portsmouth as I type by a professional crew and is up for sale. The picture I posted is of Bucephalus moored outside the Royal Huisman yard. It was great having Alice Huisman and her mother (Wolter's widow) on board for coffee and a chat.
  12. ellis000

ellis000 New Member

Bucephalus

I am still the owner but Bucephalus is seriously for sale. She is on the hard at Berthon in Lymington. Details at: Huisman 51 Ketch boat for sale
  13. ShawnMoore

ShawnMoore New Member

Hi, found this while searching Via Maris, my dad worked on her at Moody’s doing most of her interior. Do you still have her, or know of her whereabouts? Dad’s 83 and would love to see her again!