Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

| A&R | 67.9M | "AVIVA" | 2007 |

Discussion in 'Abeking & Rasmussen Yacht' started by Yacht News, Apr 3, 2007.

1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

2. BruceD

BruceD New Member

Thanks - I really like Athena and wondered if a different bow might improve her performance, etc.. Used to be a Rag Sailer. Thanks again.

Bruce D
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well it is possible on a sail yacht and it is in reality but on many of the smaller sailyachts. Take Wally for example, many of their sailyachts feature this straight bow and renders great sailing capabilities. As for Athena, I would not think you would see a straight bow on her. She is built as a modern Classic and a straight bow would make her too modern and would not match with all the other classic components and features she carries. As Lars said, there is the Pilgrim Project by Wally and thats a large one.
  4. BruceD

BruceD New Member

Thanks to all. I'll keep my eye peeled for new launches - somebody has got to try it on a big sailer in that it is of benefit to her sailing qualities.

Regards - Bruce D
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

How about Wally's Esense? She's big enough... 143 feet.
    This "style" (like all great styles) was born in racing for a purely utilitarian reasons... maximized LWL.
  6. BruceD

BruceD New Member

Thanks Kevin - wish we had some deck and interior info - its hard to beat the amenities on Aviva - I'm in heat for her. Tried following up on Wally Yacht's pilgrim project, but wasn't too successful - was I on the wrong thread?

Regards - BruceD:
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

8. Yacht News

As for Aviva III, I do not think that she will be the last yacht to be built with this. It just needs a couple of people to break the mould of the conventional bow. Remember, there is to be the A&R Excellence IV she is to be of a similar design to the Aviva III but I highly doubt she will have the straight bow.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Yachtluver- When referring to the Abekings AVIVA it is just that not No III as you write repeatedly.

E IV has a conventional flared bow.
  10. Yacht News

Well remember KIWI, there has been alot of confusion in the recent past with the Aviva names. I used to say Aviva regarding the A&R before but people would be PMing me asking which one I meant the original Feadship Aviva that caught fire (now Attessa III), the oceAnco AvivaII (ex Alfa IV) or the A&R Aviva. So that is why I put Aviva III so that people do not get confused.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

To be correct Yachtluver, you are referring to a vessel name that does not exist on any registry to the best of my knowledge.
  12. Yacht News

K1Wi, I am not say that the A&R vessel is called Aviva 'III' I just use that as a distinction so as not to confuse others and I am quite sure that you are correct that there is no vessel 'registered' as Aviva 'III'
  13. BruceD

BruceD New Member

AMG - thanks - got it - wish the plans were a little bigger! Does Senior Member mean your old? If so, I'm a Senior Member too - can't see as well as I used to:(

KIWI - Who cares what she's called - she' s beautiful!!!!:p

BruceD:)
  14. Yacht News

LOL Bruce.
  15. BruceD

BruceD New Member

Thanks YachtLuver - Luv your Town & Island - Gud Rum Dere!

BruceD
  16. Oceanlines

Oceanlines New Member

YachtLuver and folks -- Any thoughts on why this not does not (apparently) use any kind of azipods? The idea of carrying the Shottel as a "3rd wheel" strikes me as an inefficient way to do something that could have been done with two "conventional" azipods. What am I missing? Do owners still worry about reliability/service availability of the pods?
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Stern Thruster is not a "third wheel" it is a Pump Jet.

Azipods are suited to larger vessels and there are a lot of issues to be addressed when using them. The current crop of Abekings boats are pretty short of space in the back end and could not support the height inside or the mass of the Azipod hanging off the outside. There would also be a space issue for all the drive gear electrics and electronics to run an Azipod boat.
  18. hunterps

hunterps New Member

Just Aviva

This is the 3rd boat named Aviva by the owner. This one is just known as Aviva. I did help with the build and it is a beautiful yacht. I do know the owner name, but I will not post it. I can say that he is an American. Aviva is 73 meters long at a price tag above 75 Mil. There is 1 Mil in A/V equipment. She left A&R with a crew of 30 and is due back at the end of the season for 5 months of add ons. I also have interior pictures, but do not feel it right to post them.
  19. Oceanlines

Oceanlines New Member

If I'm not mistaken, K1W1, ABB offers Azipods as small as 400Kw. Is that not small enough?
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Yes Oceanlines they do offer 400 kW Units.

The series of boats we are talking about here would need 1.5 mW units.

I have been onboard Air and Kogo -two Azipod boats and was amazed at the amount of equipment that is needed to support the Azipods. This takes up a lot of space and is something that a lot of Owners are not prepared to sacrifice just for a drive system that is going to reduce their interior volume.