Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for JetForums

Neptunus 56 Flybridge

Discussion in 'Neptunus Yacht' started by Jonagross, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

I'm looking to share tips and stories about this boat as I have a 2002 model for 5 years. I also have custom made cockpit carpeting that I no longer need, if there is interest.
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Have one coming up for a survey. Any particular potential negatives on which we need to focus for survey?

Judy
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're pretty well built boats all of the way around. Check a/c insulation for the chilled water system, it's only 1/2" and usually has to be replaced after 7 years or so as it starts sweating everywhere. Their gelcoat doesn't crack but is very hard, so only certain waxes last on it, Meguiars flagship and Collinite fleet wax tend to work well on it. They're a good running boat and overall well built with good access to everything usually. The 56' is based off of the 55' Cabriolet (express) hull I believe, the Cabriolet would cruise at 25.5 knots at 80% load with 800 hp cats.
  4. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

Make sure to take a close look at the hydraulic lift. Depending upon the vintage, the lift may have hoses that slide through the transom not far above the waterline. I replaced the lift with a single piston SeaLift and have been pleased....25k plus later! Also, my 2002 boat had the teak fastened to a substrate with the substrate glued to the fiberglass. The problem was the substrate was fastened by screws, then the assembly turned over and glued. That means the screw points were going skyward, making the teak unusable after a number of years and sandings. I replaced with the faux teak, and also have been pleased. Also check the mounting tray for the genset. Mine was somewhat corroded and was also eventually replaced. Even with these problems, we love the boat, it runs very well and is stable at sea. We cruise at 22, fast cruise at 24, and top out at 29 knots in flat water. Best of luck! Feel free to ask anything else. FYI, cruise requires about 65 gal. per hour of diesel.
  5. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks so much!!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Neptunus lift is well built on all of the ones I've run with strong locking mechanisms etc. and never had an issue with any of them. I managed 3 different Neptunus and have run at least 6 others. I'm not a fan of them using chillers, but it is what it is.
  7. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

did any have the hoses that slid through transom holes?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't remember. I do know the hoses were above the waterline. The ones I managed were 2006, 2006, and 2007. Never had an issue with the lift on any of them.
  9. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

I guess the newer ones had updated lifts. Now mine does. And new chillers and no spike starters, so the 50 amp doesn't blow
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The chillers were standard start ones. We had no issues with the shorepower breakers blowing. If you do, have the chillers acid washed as they use a lot more electricity when they're dirty. Soft start modules are around $600-700 from dometic and can be added, you may want to consider adding one or both.
  11. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

The new chillers AND soft starts were installed in October, just in time for winter storage. lol
  12. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

I have been on many Neptunus when they leave the factory and transit the Welland Canal and you will find that between the swim platform and the transom there is a space about two inches wide, and I have seen many pepole drop the line in that space and it get caught in prop when they secure lines in the lock.
  13. Jonagross

Jonagross New Member

with my new lift, there is no space! there is a big one between my ears though.