Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by brian eiland, Apr 3, 2007.

1. kapth

kapth New Member

I tried with the European dealer but no success. So anyone knows about cheoy lee 53 - 63 pls mail.
  2. JoeQ

JoeQ New Member

I've had my 63 for 5 years now and really like it. Very economical when using the engines. Plenty of room inside and easily handled.

Where are you located? If you're near Scotland you're welcome to check out my 63.

Cheers,

Joe
  3. jeff eaton

jeff eaton New Member

Cheoy Lee 63

In the fall of 1982 I took over as captain of hull #1 of the Cheoy Lee 63 motorsailler, Lush Life. We sailed all over this part of the world- Bahamas, Caribbean, Bermuda, New England, and so on. We sold her in 1984, but she soon fell into the hands of the US government. A feoolw from Charleston, I think, had her for a while, and sold her to an English Gent who motored her to England in December and January. I last saw the boat in Jose Banus, I think it was, in 1992.

She did motor better than she sailed, which is why we sold her. However, she ws very comfortable under just about any conditions, and very livable at dockside or at anchor.
  4. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Greek Motorsailer

Not exactly a Rhodes or Aden design, but certainly one that captures that adventurous spirit.

… and the journey continues with a fairy wooden boat, sailing in blue seas, endless horizons, islands with famous myths and civilization monuments, heavenly beauties, it continues in Greece … the sunny Greece…!

The inspirer and owner of “Generalis” guesthouse, having a successful route in the field of hospitality and great love towards the sea, created the continuity of his fairyland by constructing “Generalis Yacht”, a unique, wooden 25m. sailing boat, equal in luxury to the guesthouse.

The “Generalis Yacht” sailing boat was made exclusively by wood and with hack value from 2006 to 2008 in the Argolic valley. The virtuoso naval architect Ioannis Lekkas had the supervision of this construction. Five fully equipped cabins, a kitchen, bar, indoor and outdoor sitting area, water sport equipment and skilled crew, ready to satisfy all requirements and wishes, are only some of the facilities offered for a memorable holiday.

Our sailing boat “Generalis Yachts” sails in every sea, in every myth… everywhere Aeolus blows… in the magical Aegean Sea where Odysseus wandered… in the emerald Ionian Sea… in the Sporades islands of the Argonauts… in the Icarian Sea… in the Myrtoan Sea.. in our islands… in Greece… the sunny Greece…!!

Type: Schooner
    L.O.A: 25m (83.25 ft)
    Beam: 6,28m (20.6 ft)
    Draft: 2.20m
    Hull & Superstructure: Iroko
    Deck: Iroko
    Interior: Oregon & Iroko

Engines: 2 x 320 HP
    Generators: 1x60KW & 1x15KW
    Voltage: 220V AC, 24V DC
    Cruising Speed: 10 Knots - Maximum 12 Knots
    Fuel Consumption: 60 ltrs/hour (including generator consumption)

Accomodation: 5 cabins with double beds (1,45m x 2.00m).
    All cabins provided with individual TV - DVD - CD- RADIO - USB en suite facilities and fully air conditioned.
    Crew: Four (captain, cook, steward, deck hand) in separate quarters
    Leisure: Tender Callegari (4,10m) with Suzuki 50Hp , Water Ski, Tubes, Windsurf, Fishing and Snorkelling equipment

...fun and adventrure in the Greek isles...on a wooden motorsailer...count me in

Attached Files:

• 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
    • 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
    • 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      26 KB
      Views:
    • 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
  5. brian eiland

...accomodations

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      164.4 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views:
    • 60.jpg
      60.jpg
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
    • 59.jpg
      59.jpg
      File size:
      53 KB
      Views:
  6. brian eiland

65' Rhodes 'Sargasso'

... a private email I received recently

To RunningTide Yachts

Hi,

My father had such a 65 ft. Phil Rhodes designed steel-hull ketch
    commissioned in 1960. "Sargasso" was technically a motorsailer with a
    raised salon main cabin with large windows to port and starboard and
    three bronze portholes forward. She had a full engine room beneath
    the main cabin. The raised center cockpit had excellent visibility
    and kept us dry. More importantly, Sargasso sailed better than any of
    the "new" sailboats I've been on with their streamlined flattened
    cabins, as if they could do 50 knots, when in fact it is more like 7
    or 8 in the best of conditions. Sargasso got up to slightly over 11
    knots in a broad reach.

Today's naval architects are in a state of denial trying to sell
    "racing" boats with dual stern helms to cruisers who use auto-pilots.
    Designers refuse to provide hard dodgers or even well designed bimini/
    dodgers, the very first thing all owners have to add. The architects
    can at least keep photos and drawings of their supposed "beautiful"
    lines with no bimini, but not a single one of their boats ever end up
    that way. The Jeanneau 43DS came close to achieving that concept but
    then abandoned this look for the "sexier" stylized motorboat windows
    and pushed down cabin with no visibility forward from below. The
    Jeanneau 54DS is an example of such a missed opportunity continuing
    the tradition of what I call "dungeon" main cabins with little
    visibility to the beautiful anchorage you are supposed to be enjoying.

Multi-hulls on the other hand have wonderfully large main cabins with
    large windows. The irony is that despite all that windage, they can
    sail or motor at twice the speed of the "streamlined" monohulls that
    only give the appearance of being faster. You are right, more has to
    be done to bring about a change in thinking. It is sad to see so many
    sailors "graduating" to trawlers because they can't find sailboats
    that keep them warm and dry in any weather, can motor as well as they
    sail, and are seaworthy.

Enjoyed your very good article. I thought I was the only one who
    thought that way.

Regards, X
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Perfect

Thanks Brian,
    Great reading this thread, a lot of new information on a type of boat that deserves more attention, especially in these times (anytime really, as the oil situation is recurring).
    A PERFECT combination of boating, the sound of sail and sea with the comfort of controlled power when needed. Add to that the true feeling of a "ocean capable" vessel!
    BTW, when you wrote about the influence the "Wanderer" series had on you, it reminded me of reading the very early Hans Hass books on skin diving exotic locations etc. At the time I was living in Northern Rhodesia, many, many miles from any ocean but those stories stuck with me until I finally got to the coast and dived in Mocambique, Mossel Bay and the Cape. Then Asia and Australia. It is a bit of "Huckleberry" in many of us!
    I will keep an eye out for these boats. thanks.
  8. brian eiland

THEY'RE BACK...KKK!!, those motorsailers

Unloved for Years, the Motorsailer is the new Belle of the Ball​

This comes from the latest June issue of Sail Mag....a 4 page article that's not that great, but it certainly goes to show that the mainstream sailing publications are acknowledging that the old motorsailer concept is coming back in style.

...and AGAIN the multihull motorsailer gets left out of the discussion...shame on them :rolleyes:
  9. sgldzn

sgldzn New Member

I lived aboard Estrellita when she was in the Aegean in the late 1970s
    This was just prior to her coming to the Virgins.
  10. brian eiland

You are talking of this vessel, correct?
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/41714-post14.html

Welcome to the forums. Please give us any personal experieces, opinions if you care to share them
  11. sgldzn

sgldzn New Member

Estrellita

Hello Brian
    Yes. that is her alright.
    I lived aboard Estrellita for 9 months with the owners. We were based on Poros, Greece.

That would have been about 1976.

The last I heard, Estrellita was in the U.S Virgins

How do you know this boat?

Paul
  12. brian eiland

I do not have any personal knowledge of that vessel. If you look back thru this subject thread you will find that she was introduced to the subject by another person.
  13. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

motor sailers

all lovely yachts - but I still think Macharius is a handsome little ship and probably can set enough cloth to help on long distances and give the owner something to play with when bored fyi Sea Prince is currently for sale at something over $1M...about $500K too much, in my opinion. best David .
  14. brian eiland

Rhodes or Alden motorsailer ?

So here is a motorsailer I found at a marina in southern MD a number of years ago. I've not brought it up before on the forums as I had some hopes of acquiring it from an estate....that looks to have changed.

I have never been able to determine exactly who was the designer....but it had to have been either Rhodes or Alden. The fellow who ran the marina was pretty secretive about the owner of the vessel. I could not get a name or contact address. I really wanted to know who was the designer, ..and who was the builder. I still do not know to this day, so how about some help from anyone.

This vessel was about 42-44 feet long. It had twin engines, and a rig that had been taken off and stowed somewhere in the marina. I think the mast was wood. It was built of fiberglass.

Initially I thought it was a Rhodes design...looking very similar to his original 44' Virginia Reel vessels (posting #11 above). The hull shapes and the bow profile are the same. But the deck house on this vessel stands taller, has 3 full windows rather than 2, and of course a bigger flybridge.

Some of Rhodes larger motorsailers had a taller deckhouse and a bigger flybridge as on this 65' Virginia Reel (posting #12). Could this vessel I found be a shortened version of the larger design?? But I still have not found such a dwg, nor a reference to such a vessel of his. The closes reference I have found is a little profile dwg of a vessel called "Moonshell".

Now lets look at a few Alden designs that appear somewhat similar. Certainly the deckhouse and the flybridge on this 57' Alden (posting #20 above) appear more like the one of this mystery vessel. Of course the bow of this Alden design is much different (and more beautiful I might add), but that is not to say that Alden didn't do a few boats with bows much like that of Rhodes...for instance this 64' design (posting #59)

So now you have it, a portion of my delemia...what is she, a Rhodes or Alden??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  15. brian eiland

a few more photos

Attached Files:

16. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

The struts & rudders, plus the deck hardware, and some other "looks" (big windows) suggest a Cheoy Lee of late '60s-early '70s. John Alden and Phil Rhodes, as well as Beedsnidjer, among others, designed CL motorsailers.
    The flybridge looks like an add-on.
  17. brian eiland

Discoverer

A yacht designer Tad Roberts has come up with an older magazine ad that seems to be exactly the vessel.

...From Yachting of June 1970

Attached Files:

18. brian eiland

Length Discrepancy

We are still doing a little research on the actual length of this Discoverer model. We have references to it being 52', 47', 46', and possible a little less. Of course the brochure (ad) does not say what length.

I roughly measured the length at LWL of about 40'. So I don't see anyway it could be a 52' vessel.

We've seen a brokerage listing of 46'

And we've made inquiry with the museum in Mystic Seaport that has not answered yet. They should have some dwgs.
  19. brian eiland

Ben has a Rhodes website up here, and he has updated his site with some of this info:
    http://astro.temple.edu/~bstavis/pr/816-discoverer.htm

20. brian eiland

This subject has come up again over on this subject thread...
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/18184-sailing-bora-bora.html#post146358

...and I found another photo of them getting ready to leave on that trip to the 'South Pacific'

You have to remember that in those days this was a VERY EXOTIC notion,...hollywood even did a big musical production about it titled 'South Pacific'
    South Pacific (musical) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia