Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

Moonen Launches 114' "My Issue"

Discussion in 'Moonen News & Launches' started by YachtForums, May 4, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOONEN SHIPYARDS LAUNCHES FIRST EXPLORER - the 114' "My Issue”​

Largest-displacement Moonen yacht is ice-classed...

Moonen Shipyards, now celebrating 25 years of building fine “pocket superyachts,” has launched its largest-displacement yacht ever, the 290-ton Explorer 114' "My Issue". Built for repeat clients, this first edition of the all-new Moonen “Explorer Series” is a unique long-range research-type cruising yacht designed by René van der Velden with naval architecture by Stolk Marimecs.

The Explorer 114 is above all a seaworthy vessel, with a seakindly hullform featuring pronounced forward sheer. Her round-bilge steel hull has smaller, more closely spaced frames forward and reinforced shell plating at the bow, earning her a Lloyd’s Register “Ice Class” certificate. Dynamic stabilization and bilge keels assure comfort in all conditions and at anchor.
  2. The Explorer 114', with updated classic styling, was also designed to maximize choices in indoor or outdoor dining and entertaining. The space-efficient aluminium superstructure enhances stability and provides walkarounds on main and bridge decks. The sundeck has a hot tub and wet bar, as well as jetski stowage. The bridge deck is divided between the wheelhouse and an octagonal skylounge, which can be extended aft by enclosing the afterdeck with glass panels.

The full-width owners’ suite forward, shares the main deck with a large L-shaped galley, crew mess, and the saloon/dining area. Belowdecks, four double guest staterooms around a central foyer are separated by a structural bulkhead from the crew quarters to assure universal privacy. A large tender garage is abaft the engine room. Under her twin 804-bhp MTU diesels the 114 will cruise at 12 knots; with 45,000 litres of fuel her economy range is 4,500 nautical miles at 10 knots.

For more information, contact:

Moonen Shipyards
    P.O. Box 3186, 5203 DD
    's Hertongenbosch, Netherlands
    http://www.**********
  3. Nice Sea Action for this 114' Moonen Hull

Nothing worse than a hard-chine, steel displacement hull with a snappy motion. It'll beat you to tears.

But, sadly, there's a proliferation of these hulls because construction is much easier and cheaper.

On the other hand, we have the Moonen round bilge hull---and I believe Mulder uses a similar design on its 88'---with active and at-mooring stabilizers that has been well-proven at sea to be demonstrably safe, stable and very kind to her crew.

I think that can be said with the same degree of absoute certainty for both the Moonen 114' and the Mulder 88'. The difference is that Mulder is fast (35+ nauts), lighter and with far less freeboard and super structure. It is much less voluminous than the Moonen. Both, however boast, quite rightly, superior slow speed, blue-water sea-keeping abilities.

They're both "Gentlemen's Yachts," the Mulder is the Express and the Moonen is the Expedition.

In my Humble Opinion...
  4. hard chine vs round bilge hulls - mulder 88

Dear Rudder,

I do share your comments, but just a small correction on details of mulder 88 "Sea Breeze". As to my knowledge her 50% load maximum speed with 1400 hp Cats is 22 knots. Moonen 94 alu, which is a similar concept had 26 knots at half load with 1825 hp Cats.
  5. Mulder vs Moonen

Dear Nilo,

My memory was faulty regarding the 88' Mulder, Sea Breeze. But, after checking the Jachtwerf Mulder web site, it appears the optional, big twin Cats are now at 1,500 hp each and the top speed is given at 27Kn.
    Many thanks for catching my error.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.