Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder

Moisture around windows

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Echomajik, Feb 1, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Echomajik

Echomajik New Member

Hi all,
    I recently purchased a 1978 Post 42. There's high moisture readings around the salon side windows, along with stress cracking and soft spots. I'm looking for opinions on to fix or live with? Also looking for suggestions on where to have the work done, if I decide to fix? I'm located on the east end of
    Long Island.
    On another note, the boat was originally named "Hustler" and spent a lot of time at Block, if anyone has any input on the boat?
    Thanks, Chuck,
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hi,
    Live with it or fix it .......
    A 1978 model is hard to justify investing alot of money into the repair.

I couldn't live with it and opted to fix it on my 1980 model.
    I know I will never get any money back for what it cost.

I do not know an easy fix.
    I can tell you that if the soft spots are in the balsa coring it is not good but if it is soft in the timbers that the window tracks are set above, it is worse.
    If you leave it indefinitely, the timbers will surely begin to rot.
    There are mahogany uprights behind the windows that help support the bridge and tie the cabin to the bulkhead, at the location where the bulkhead intersects it cabin sides. If these get wet/rotten, also a bad thing.
    If you get a crack(s) in any of the cabin windows, that can be a sign that the cabin may be settling on account of the rotten wood too.
    If the water is in the cabin top also and is able to migrate to the end grain at the top of the bulkhead, that becomes even more of a job.
    I was lucky in that 99% of my timbers were OK and we caught it before it did more damage.
    In the end we replaced the Balsa coring with Coosa board on the cabin sides and top after finding and repairing the locations where the water got in.
  3. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I'm still unsure about when they went to coring. My 1975 is good (or not) old fashioned glassed plywood. Anybody who has fold my "return" thread knows the issues I've been dealing with.
  4. Echomajik

Echomajik New Member

Right, so if I live with it, better to be plywood I'm thinking? Guess I can drill to see if balsa.
  5. shawn

shawn New Member

I knew Hustler for years she was kept in 3 mile harbor. Bob would come out to BI every weekend rain or shine, finely he had a bad ride heading back and his wife said you have your choice get a bigger boat or get out of boating. He bought a 50 Post, he had on the 42 and 50 a set of real Bull horns on the front of the bridge. You need to work on those cracks there is a balsa and Ply under the windows and the water is getting in and making as mess. I bet the most problem is at the front window and the aft window. I have re-done two 42s if you want to talk on the phone I can tell what you need to do.

Shawn
  6. shawn

shawn New Member

Tried to contact you left message.
  7. Echomajik

Echomajik New Member

Sorry, I'm away until Thursday.
    Chuck