Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

Mercury Outboard Powered 65' Motoryacht (no joke!)

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

No kidding, what about the early jet skis? They were a floating motor with a gas tank! I know it looks crazy and stupid, but the tank is outside of the boat. Just look at all of the older outboard jon boats, whalers, etc. All of them had exterior portable tanks, usually metal. I would also argue that the old metal tanks are of a significant thinner gague metal than this one....I just hope it is baffled and secure.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tasting, not drinking. There is a difference. Can't believe what a bunch of wooses we have here.:D I must admit, after watching a friend every day getting her bandages changed after being unfortunate enough to survive an extremely bad burn, fire scares me.
    Must admit, I never ran a Whaler with that big of a gas tank mounted as that one appears to be. So I guess we know who would take the job. If you get it, let us know how it works out, especially how many times you get boarded and what reception you recieve at the marinas. Maybe I'm the woos after all. Be curious to find out.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I have no concerns about slapping my No Fear sticker on the bumper of a boat trumped up on 2-stroke testosterone. I ain't skeered! :D

Attached Files:

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Grins... :D :D
  5. YachtForums

Even though this Merc McGyver'd mess wouldn't plane with twice the power, for a fleeting moment I was thinkin'... yeehaw!

Attached Files:

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You may have had a premonition. Just add flames to the aft deck in the photo.:D
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Like, was your bilge water dry or fruity? Impetuous with just a hint of Orpine and 200-hour Rotella? Nice!

On the subject of safety, I can personally attest that a 13 Whaler at speed with two (slightly) leaky six-gallon steel tanks clanging & banging around between pilot and motor never caught fire and exploded.

This poor Texan's biggest horror will be Severe Wallet Depletion Syndrome--but at least he'll have a lot of grist for Sea Stories at the bar. And, God bless him for his mindset. Enough Nancy/Wimpiness...so PMY.

WE ARE YACHTFORUMS!
  8. SandEngXp

SandEngXp New Member

Design Nightmares

Love the picture.

It would be nice next to the Mojo poster I have hanging in my office that has reminded me for years of why structural design requires such high load factors.

This is the easy way to remove the interior in preparation for a refit....:D
  9. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Attached Files:

10. William lll

William lll New Member

Merc V-6 Triples

The port engine is a 20" mid, lengthened 5" with an old spacer from an eighties stock Merc V-6 25" shaft motor. And all the propshafts are at about the same height, so...they are all 25" shafts(now). The center engine uses an aftermarket extension piece. At least he had the sense to put the left-hand rotation unit in the center, LOL. :D
  11. YachtForums

If you study those pics a little closer William (Gar, is that you???), you'll find the lower pans are missing from the port and center motor, giving the illusion of longer mids. The starboard motor has its full-dress on. And yes, 5" spacers have been added between the mids and lower units. That tells me these motors may have been on big freeboard cat. Maybe an old Chris Cat?

In the end, what the motors were ripped from isn't as important as their new application, which is one of the strangest sights in boating.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They came off of a Center Console Catamaran.......based off of a race boat hull.....like those jaguar, manta, etc. race boat cat hulls that they made a center console fast cat from......This is from someone at Cable Marine that knows the entire story.
  13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I still don't understand why anyone would do this. I know someone that purchased a hurricane damaged 70' hatteras a few years back that purchased an old 34' trawler which he used to pull the 70 back to north Florida. That makes much more sense than this rig. Also, how is the thruster supposed to work the way it's installed?
  14. YachtForums

Good question. That's the craziest part of this whole contraption.
  15. Capt Buddy

Capt Buddy Member

This has to be in preparation for April 1 2012. those 2.5s will melt before it gets out of the New River. Any one know when the maiden is so we can get some pics?
  16. m2m

m2m Senior Member

Although I think it's insane I give the guy credit for his idea. I wouldn't want to make the passage but I am betting it will be successful. I have seen a lot crazier and successful (ie: more dangerous) deliveries. One comes to mind with an old wooden sailboat with an outboard bolted to the transom and the transom pretty much fell off, but the trip was successful.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't understand how the guy figures he's going to save ANY money over shipping it. He had his guys make the bracket, and modifications to the boat, fly here from Texas and spend a week in hotels installing everything, and when you calculate the amount of fuel this rig is going to burn and total lack of range, it makes no sense. But I digress, some people have more money than brains.......
  18. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Here's the way I see it, no matter where the boat was repaired, the running gear had to be replaced and the engine/trans rebuilt. I agree that cable is pricey, so why didn't he just tow it to another yard, pull the engines, rebuild them wherever then reinstall and drive the boat back? Has anyone run the numbers on what this thing would use in fuel?
  19. YachtForums

Don't know what's hiding behind those alien cowls, other than 2.5 blocks. Could be 200's up to 280's. Either way, these are thirsty motors, especially when running in their power spectrum from 4,000 to 7800 RPM. The real problem with hi-perf Mercs is they have NO low-end grunt. Until 2-strokes hit their stride, they've got no ponies. Pushing this barge, it's doubtful they will even be able to spool up, however at their current X-dimension, maybe some cavitation would get the revs up. ;)
  20. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

After reading this thread I think everybody agrees that this was not the most economical solution but whether he is going to make it is still speculation.
    Is there anybody close enough so that can be verified whether he made it all the way back to Texas with this engine set-up or not?

I'm willing to bet US$ 100.- that he makes it back to Texas on it's own power.