Click for Comfort Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Merchant Navy to Yachting Path and Sailing Yachts

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by dogus, Apr 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dogus

dogus New Member

I have been searching on this topic for quite a while on our forum.

I have few questions please pick any of them you can help me with. This topic can be a great insight for all of us.

I have an Unlimited Chief Officer CoC from Turkey(White Flag). Not any bit tired of sea but want to see something else than containers terminals and heavy ISM documents.

I have two groups of questions divided into certification and job opportunities. Please pick as you like.

1)I have Malta OOW Endorsement. Should I apply personally for Cayman Islands endorsement and any others to increase my chances?
    *I have B1/B2 and C1/D

2) I have only open water diver licence and I got a couple sailing courses on laser class boats(no license). I probably don't have luxury to be picky but I'd love to work at sailing yachts. Can you suggest me any courses I should undergo such as tender driving and sailing to improve my resume.

Let me go for job opportunities part:

3) Where should I take these courses(My English is good and my French is miserable) in order to blend in yachting sector. I'm interested in Caribbean, Far East, Australia and Europe in order.

4) I am ready to start from deckhand position as well. I can work for a contract in order to become an officer.

5) I have no luck with yachting and super yachting companies so far on internet. Being either located onboard or Turkey is a drawback I assume. Please advise me if I should go to docks of Florida or Marseille for example.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Your quest is not an unusual one. Don't be deceived by the thought of an easy ride with ISM, ISPS and Management co's. Yachts have them all and more.

Try some forums and groups to promote yourself, register with some crew agents.

You are going to need to have some luck and find someone who will give you a chance.
  3. dogus

dogus New Member

Thanks for feedback

I would appreciate if you can pick one of my questions.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

1) You can apply for a CI endorsement the day you step aboard, they send out a temp one by e mail.
    2) Your CoC will cover you to drive any tender legally but the actual act of driving needs some practice apart from the ticket
    3) There are a few yachting centres that run these courses. Pick one that suits you the best for networking and the cost.
    4) That is a good attitude but do not sell yourself for nothing
    5) It is not easy to break in. We have taken on an Officer who was posting online about trying all over the place and getting nowhere as everyone wants yacht experience and this guy has two very good qualifications. So far it is working very well the same can't be said for another ex Merch one we got thrust upon us though.

There I have had a go at all your questions
  5. dogus

dogus New Member

Great help, thanks. I am not only using search function right now and clicking on almost all posts:)

I have references as well.

My first idea is to go to Antibes at the end of August to catch boats moving to Caribbean. I heard it's a risk getting caught by security/customs though on a visitor visa. I can even volunteer for an ocean passage in case we go wind powered. Is Antibes my best bet for such passage?

By any chance anybody know any sail makers over there? My French is quite basic though.

So I will be at Florida At the beginning of October for dock walking. Another challenge.

Any tips appreciated.