Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Abeking

Megayacht Sighting in South China, Identification?

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by 0112358, Mar 20, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 0112358

0112358 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a yacht obsessed American who has been living in China for the last decade. Having moved here from South Florida, my withdrawal pains of missing the big iron have been persistent.

I live on a small island in the South China Sea called Nanao, a sub-county of Shantou city at the easternmost part of Guangdong province. It is still near to the mainland, so I occasionally see traffic moving past, but usually nothing very large. For example, Azimuts are numerous, a few Sunseekers, a single Pershing, two Ocean Alexanders, and tons of Asian built stuff.

Today the vessel in the photos below showed up and is currently anchored offshore of my residence here. This is not an uncommon occurrence for commercial vessels and the smaller yachts previously mentioned, but this is the largest to drop anchor here that I've seen.

Wondering if anyone can place an identification for her:

Nanao, China_01s.jpg

Nanao, China_02s.jpg

Nanao, China_03s.jpg

Nanao, China_04s.jpg

Notes:
    Apologies for the low image quality. Used my mobile phone to take snapshots at a distance from one of my balconies, and the 640 maximum pixel width for the site further reduced clarity.

She looks like a Benetti or similar at first glance. The overall design also slightly reminds me of a Christensen. Appears to be near the 50 meter range, though a bit of swing in either direction won't surprise me.

In my own research at bringing over a smaller yacht for myself, I learned of an apparent regulation in China that prohibits the importing of any vessels that are not designated as "new". Furthermore, imported vessels are subject to formidable duties and fees. Add to the situation that freedom of navigation is far from guaranteed, and it makes me wonder the story behind the yacht shown here and her owner(s).

Assuming her home port is Hong Kong due to the proximity, but that's just a guess. Normally, the Mainland China registered vessels are required to have great big identification names and numbers dominating their hulls.

Doubtful that someone would be willing and able to bring a vessel in this mid-range size over here from farther abroad. I could certainly be mistaken (and by extension very intrigued) though, after all, I was surprised when Paul Allen's Lürssen showed up in China. Still often wonder how he pulled that off, what the cost/trade-off was.

In any case, it seems that a private vessel of this size being operated in China demonstrates a monetary requirement and capability equal to what we would normally associate with vessels of a much larger size in Western locales.

Hope someone knows more about her.

Cheers!

KC
  2. NYboater

NYboater New Member

According to AIS marine traffic, it is a Chinese registered yacht, Hu Sha. She is indeed 50 meters long. No information given about the year or make.