Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Mechanical Engine/transmission conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Northwind, Jan 15, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Northwind

Northwind Member

I am restoring an older USCG boat (several related post made on various topics). It is a twin engine diesel.

The existing controls are mechanical. There is a telegraph that provides pneumatic control of the engine and gearbox. I am adding electric thrusters.

I know pneumatic controls are reliable but they require a lot of maintenance.

I want a fly-by-wire system. I'd like to be able to synchronize the engines. Warm them up out of gear. And, I am looking from some interlock protection for the gearbox against rapid switching. And, on a related but separate note, I want engine guages that report to the wheelhouse (currently only available in the engine room).

Ultimately, I would like to add advanced controls (joystick) that will translate the joystick position into signals to the engines, gearboxes and thrusters.

ZF has a unit designed to retrofit mechanical systems but they say their joystick and advanced systems won't work with this. Glendinning has a system that claims to do all this. I saw the glendinning system at a boat show. I did not have a lot of confidence in the mechanical link.

Any advice and opinion appreciated.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Again it would help if you d tell us the size of the boat and what engines

Gauges can be duplicated to the helm, you ll need to run wires and/or hose if mechanical

Pneumatic are pretty reliable once maintained and as long as you have a reliable source of air

The glendining mechanical sync system is pretty bulletproof and very simple

Joysticks and fly by wire are over rated.
  3. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I have Kobelt air shifters and throttles about 45 years old. I've done very little maintenance and had no problems. They can be rebuilt almost forever. I have a standalone compressor with tank and an engine mounted compressor. I also have a 2nd tank in the flying bridge mainly so my air horn has plenty of air.
    I believe we're talking about the Fir, retired about 1990. Lighthouse tender and buoy tender active in the PNW.

Attached Files: