Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Westport

Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Scott M, Feb 10, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Scott M

Scott M Member

Planning a trip next summer and looking at passing through Muskeget Channel and then to Nantucket Harbor. Muskeget Channel looks well marked, but passing over Tuckernuck Shoals...looks like a lot of shallow spots.

Anyone out there with some local knowledge? Should I avoid Tuckernuck Shoals and go around them?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I have a 59 ft with 5 ft of draft.
  2. Cruz

Cruz Member

I'm sure others will chime in but I posed the same question before my first trip from the LI Sound to Nantucket for the same reasons you are. I was told to not cut between the islands and instead take Vineyard Sound, which I did. Some wonderful cruising grounds all around there. Happy planning!
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've gone through Muskeget Channel, but always go around Tuckernuck shoals, following the buoys.
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Muskegat is doable, but going up Vineyard Sound is the prefered route. Muskegat channel is a moving target sometimes with the shoaling.
    Definitely avoid Tuckernuck shoals, stick to the buoys on the way to ACK.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have always used the sound. Tuckernute shoals have some charted depth as low as 5'... not worth taking a chance.

With southerly winds, I would sometimes run buzzard bay, along the Elizabeth islands where it can be smoother than the southern end of th sound and then cross at woods hole.
    Same distance, very scenic route