Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

Marquis 59' questions

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by Bob S., Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob S.

Bob S. New Member

Northpoint Marina, Winthrop Harbor, Il. (Lake Mich
    I would like to hear from anyone who has information on the 59' Marquis. How does the boat handle in rough weather.

How is the visibility from the upper and lower helms.

How is the quality of the boat?

Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Bob S.
  2. shelgemo

shelgemo New Member

same interest

I am also interested in same boat. What did you find out?
  3. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

I work at a Marquis dealership, and can tell you, the quality of the Marquis line is fantastic. We have very few problems with them and they ride like a dream. We are near Cleveland, Ohio, and we pick up the Marquis' from the factory and bring them by water to our location. We have never had to delay our trip for weather (although it would have stopped lesser boats). If you have any specific questions, let me know
  4. T Westra

T Westra New Member

Bob S.

I took delivery of a 59 Marquis on May 1st, 2008. We had approximately 500NM to bring her home in the Great Lakes. The lakes gave us everything they had. Head sea, beam sea, following sea, rain, snow, hail, fog and 6'-8' seas. Made the trip in 2 1/2 days with no problem at all. The boat handled very well. Visibility on the upper helm was fantastic and with the heat on up there we were very comfortable. The hull design is such that is is not a dry boat. In those conditions we had considerable spray reaching the upper helm's enclosure but stayed very dry. The quality of the boat is exceptional, no creaking or cracking down below even if those conditions. I will say the visiblity from the lower helm is not near as good as on the fly bridge but isn't bad. I traded a 53 Voyager on this boat and will say that there is a world of difference in the two boats. My only complaint is that I am still dealing with a trim tab issue (leaky hydraulics). It is a Volvo Penta system and so far I am not impressed. My dealer is taking care of it but we went through an entire season and they stil are not right. The boat does not perform well without trim. Sorry for the book and hopes this helps.

Tim Westra
  5. allan

allan New Member

I have an 05 59' as well and find the boat needs full down plate to stop the vibration and to make her plane. at wide open with full down plate the boat dose 25 kts. as I rase the plates the vibration starts and the boats starts slowing down by about 4 kts. Any input would be helpful.

Allan
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Assuming that by "plates" you mean trim tabs, it's normal for planning hulls to need the tabs down to get on plane faster. At WOT though usually they can be retracted a bit, how much depends in the boat, load and conditions

I always set them full down to get on plane then adjust them to get the best speed for a set engine rpm
  7. allan

allan New Member

Thank you, yes I do mean trim taps. I feel the design of the hull is not on par with other planing hulls like sunseeker, princess, fairline etc. when I sea trailed those they didn't require as much tap as my Marquis. It really dose take full down from about 1300 to 2300 to keep the speed up and the vibration down.

Thanks Allan
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I ve run a neighbors 59 and it handled fine, requiring no more tabs than other boats. No vibration, no issue
  9. allan

allan New Member

Thank you, I think I will call the factory again and brain stom with them.
    Thanks Allan
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Where is your fuel, extra weight & mother-in-law. Move some forward (or over).
    Has this been a problem since day one? Anybody looked at the props yet?
  11. allan

allan New Member

Yes the Props have been done three times, Props hand lapped, shaft alinement, and the stabilizers have been resealed and checked for alinement. Had a vibration expert put his instruments on mounts struts etc. still have a issue.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Let's get some info; What engines? WOT Rpm? Are your wheels in a tunnel? Two piece shafts? Big RIB on the stern?
  13. Marquis60

Marquis60 New Member

Marquis 59

I own a 2009 and have had the same issue with the hydraulic shafts on the trim tabs. Great boat that handles very well regardless of conditions. Agree that you will not stay dry up top. I installed a wiper and keep the window closed when it is rough. I had a carver before and although same company, no comparison on the models.
  14. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Re the above mentioned boats; do you all have the same brand, size and configuration tabs? Allan, when you go full down are they really full down? Sometimes the tab mnftr. can provide some insight. Good luck.
  15. Rob Maurice

Rob Maurice New Member

I just delivered a 59 down from Georgian Bay to Toronto. It is actively for sale. We had a series of weather conditions culminating in an 8 ft cross sea coming from the Welland canal to Toronto. The boat made it just fine. I was surprised at how stiff the boat was when hitting big water. It cut right through. I have a longer report on Link Removed The visibility from the upper helm is exceptional, from the lower helm not so much. We felt they took the design from the larger boat and planted it into the 59 for aesthetic purposes, not practical ones. Get back to me with any questions.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2019
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

You do realize that you responded to a 13year old thread?
    Useful information but alas he probably doesn't care anymore.
  17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

But worse... he's a broker with a 59' Marquis for sale with no regard for our guidelines on promotional posts. The link will be removed and the thread is locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.