Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Perko

Man CR900 valves & injectors

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Jun 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

It was pretty close to full. Used it for eskimo icemaker and to wash boat upon arrival. Also for Ms shower. I think the 100 gl tank is located midway although never been able to locate the water tank. This boat with full fuel 700 gl in stern and the bigger Man 900 V8 engines runs stern heavy even with trim tabs fully down.
  2. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Did you ever try putting the throttles on the pins with this load you had and see what you were able to turn up at WOT?
    If you load a boat, whether with fuel, water, equipment, or towing something, to the point that you cannot get the engines above 2300 at WOT, you are in overload.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I did run the boat with full fuel/water and was able to turn up to 2345 but did not want to do this with the tender attached.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

8 pounds per gallon is some weight. Don't think it would have a large effect on engine performance but some.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would NOT do this until right in front of his home port in case anything does let go, no sense putting that added stress on everything that far from home.
  6. CaptPKilbride

Ahhh so we are beginning to agree that the "added stress" of running in an overload scenario may result in more than just some extra soot on the transom.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Overloaded or not, I NEVER run full throttle unless I am very close to home. If anything is going to break, it's going to break at full throttle usually. I will never run more than 80% load on a trip unless I absolutely have to. For example, I run a '07 Sunseeker predator fairly often on trips, the boat is maintained to the Man book, has 900hrs on 1100 common rails. I had just gotten back from a 800NM RT through the Bahamas with zero issues. On the survey seatrial, we ran at cruise for 5 mins and no issues then up the RPM scale, with surveyor in the E.R., we do full throttle 2360 rpms (perfect rated for 2300) with full fuel/water/6 people. It blew an exhaust manifold gasket and started spewing some exhaust into the E.R. . It happens.
  8. CaptPKilbride

I agree with your policy of running at full throttle as little as possible. Usually the only time it was done when I was running a boat with MAN engines was during the annual test run and sea trial with a MAN mechanic aboard.

What is important to realize, however, is that the engines are accepted on a sea trial at a certain loading condition in which they have been demonstrated to be able to turn up past 2300 (perfect) RPM at WOT. Being aware of what the % loads should be at other RPM's can then give an indication of a potential problem, or in the case of a heavily loaded boat towing a large tender, operating in fuel overload. It damages engines to operate them in this matter, and contributes to decreased longevity.