Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn

| Lürssen | 96.26M | "LIMITLESS" | 1997 |

Discussion in 'Lurssen Yacht' started by archnav.de, Nov 19, 2003.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Limitless in Rotterdam Marina

Attached Files:

2. lanalaine

lanalaine Guest

Limitless is owned by the founder of "The Limited" clothing stores and "Victoria's Secret". It's no "secret" that this boat is as beautiful as any of his clothing models.;)
  3. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

Here's what Power & Motoryacht said when it was in the 100 largest issue of 2002.

"Limitless, which has cruised more than 100,000 miles and is still going strong, was one of the worst-kept secrets while under construction, partly due to the fact that the then-captain was seen walking around the various boat shows with a rendering of the yacht on his T-Shirt and the name "Limitless" beneath it. Another poorly kept secret was the identity of the owner, Leslie Wexner, owner of Victoria's Secret and other stores. While the rest of the yachting world waited to see what his yacht would look like, Wexner was busy making sure his requirements were met. One of the many no-compromise stipulations was a 25-knot top speed; Anything else would mean that the yard would end up owning her. (Obviously the speed was attained.) Limitless has several fascinating features, including an F-16 joystick control at her helm, a "dolphin cam" in her bow, and lights encircling her waterline to maker her anchorage glow at night. Wexner reportedly considers the interior his private domain and won't permit it to be shown, despite it having been photographed."

"Limitless is--and always will be, thanks to a Congressional act--the largest American flagged yacht."
  4. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Limitless

You can view more images of limitless at www.penumbramarine.com. This is the site of the ex-captain Craig Tafoya. He has some images on there that many have not seen in magazines or anywhere else. Limitless is an awesome yacht. Its my favorite. From the Serenella tenders to the extensive pilothouse this yacht is truly an amazing design.
  5. Yachtguymke

Limitless in Trouble???

http://www.marinetimes.ie/Assets/_archive_2004/0504_letters.html

This site has a letter to the editor asking about Limitless - if it had sunk or "fell over" while in drydock. Has anyone heard about this or can anyone confirm it? This would be international news if it had happened. I dont think anyone could keep this one hush hush.
  6. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Could someone explain this a little further for me? :eek:

Thanks.
  7. Mark in SBA

Mark in SBA New Member

Yup. Senate Bill S1004, 104th Congress (1996), 1st Session, Section 1121 states:

SEC. 1121. VESSEL DEEMED TO BE A RECREATIONAL VESSEL.

(a) IN GENERAL.—The vessel described in subsection (b) is deemed for all purposes, including title 46, United States Code, and all regulations thereunder, to be a recreational vessel of less than 300 gross tons, if—

(1) it does not carry cargo or passengers for hire; and
    (2) it does not engage in commercial fisheries or oceanographic research.​
    (b) VESSEL DESCRIBED.—The vessel referred to in subsection (a) is an approximately 96 meter twin screw motor yacht, the construction of which commenced in October, 1993, and that has been assigned the builder’s number 13583 (to be named the LIMITLESS).​

So Congress "lightened" her from 2200 to 300 tons. I'd imagine this exempts the ship from a lot of regulatory red tape.
  8. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Thanks Mark. :)

So, does that mean that all yachts with the USA flag must be 300 tons or less?

Why? :confused:
  9. Mark in SBA

Mark in SBA New Member

In a word, no. However, you will be subject to more USCG rules and regulations.

I'm a newbie at this, but IMO regulations such as SOLAS generally have an escape clause for vessels less than 500 tons not engaged in commercial operations. Over 500 tons, there's no exception for recreational vessels, since megayachts weren't envisioned when the regulations were enacted.

The only advantage I see in moving Limitless under 300 GRT is to eliminate the need for AIS. I'm not certain if there are any other "breaks" given for crew manning and licenses at either 500 or 300 tons, and I haven't a clue about ISPS regulations.

Sure is good to see an American registry megayacht as classy as Limitless with the Stars and Stripes flying over the stern.
  10. Yachtguymke

Any Ideas What this is about?

I was searching for some stuff in a search engine and came across this:

L.A.W. Limitless, LLC v. Fr. Lurssen Werft (GmbH) Co.

Any ideas what is pertains to? L.A.W Limitless is the corporation that owns the yacht (You can tell from what L.A.W stand for.)
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The dropping of tonnage of Limitless was a deliberate act to get it down to a tonnage where it coukd be brought onto the US Regiser and not contravene the Jones Act with regard to foreign built vessels being registered on the US Register.

The other question about the intials before Limitless are the Owners initials.
  12. FullaFlava

FullaFlava New Member

Limitless in Majorca June 2009

Apologies for poor camera phone picture

[​IMG]

Edit: seem unable to embed the picture, any ideas?
  13. DBowman78

DBowman78 Senior Member

A new book on the work of Francois Catroux contains pictures of Limitless' interior. There are two deck shots, and pictures of the upper and main deck salons, the dining salon, and the owner's office. Eos' interior is also featured; Limitless is more traditional while Eos is modern.
  14. Dillon1018

Dillon1018 Member

Does anyone have these pics that they would be willing to share with me?
  15. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

And me as well
  16. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The elegant "Limitless" arriving into Gibraltar.

17. Yacht News

"Limitless" arriving in Holland.

18. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

She has to be the largest private yacht flying the American flag, right? Congress amended the regulations a few years ago to (I believe) allow privately owned yachts in excess of 300GT but built to MCA standards to fly the flag. But, I'm not aware of any takers much less any ship that is bigger than Limitless.
  19. Yacht News

As far as I'm aware, she is the largest.
  20. Yacht News

Lurssen superyacht "Limitless" being transported via barge. She was at Oceanco for refit and the yacht recently returned to Rotterdam.