Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Looking for ZF/MPM V DRIVE type: V250/M

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Capt J, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm looking for an MPM V-drive (stand alone, no transmission) or Meccanica Pedana Monteverde SPA, type V250/m, N: 250.439. These were origional equipment on Searay's such as a 50' Sundancer as well as others in the late 80's early 90's. It's for the Port Engine if that matters, ours has a cracked case.
  2. JPK

JPK New Member

ZF mpm V250

I have a 1992 sea ray sun dancer 500.
    My V-Drive has broken down, can anyone help me in finding someone who can repair, replace or sell me parts...this is very urgent....!
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Good luck with your search, these things are nearly unobtainable.
  4. huckins

huckins New Member

I am also looking for parts and have located a few----what do you need?
  5. Gevans9991

Gevans9991 New Member

Stinson Hollow Marina, Muscle Shoals ,Alabama
    In the same boat

Just had my sun dancer 480 run without oil in the V drive. Still in the boat but I'm sure I also need parts or a new drive.Help
  6. huckins

huckins New Member

There are no units available that I can find. ZF has not made the v250/m for 14 years. I am currently looking for input shaft, output shaft and the gears that go with them. Why did you loose the oil? If the case is cracked, you will need to have it welded to repair it. The bearings & seals are available, but that is about it.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It is very common for the case to crack where the bronze cooler goes through the aluminum case, that is what happened to my customer's.
  8. Gevans9991

Gevans9991 New Member

Will attemp to remove the drive today and find out whats been " eaten " inside. I anticipate alot of fun trying to get it out. I have someone calling the MPM company in Italy..Will post if I get anyware..Thanks
  9. huckins

huckins New Member

Is MPM company connected with ZF?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, ZF bought them out many years ago......I thought MPM was in Spain when these drives were made?
  11. Gevans9991

Gevans9991 New Member

Melted v drive

Got the v drive out and opened it today. Both gears were melted smooth.
    Everything rlse appears fine. Are the gears available? Can they be machined?
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The bigger issue is you have to find where the oil went. Most of these V-drives including the one I was involved in, crack the case. The case cracked on mine where the bronze cooler goes through it, due to corrossion from the dissimilar metals. Luckily we caught the fact that all of the oil leaked out, before running the boat and melting the gears and bearings like in your situation.

You may seriously want to considering finding 2 used modern v-drive/transmission combo's and retro-fitting them into the boat as parts are near impossible to find for these V-drives. I don't know where you'd find gears, but usually it's the cracked case that is nearly impossible to replace.
  13. huckins

huckins New Member

I am working on getting pricing for having new shafts & gears machined. The gears of course are tough to duplicate. I will be sending my old gears and shaft [ratio 1.286] up north to get a quote. I have called and sent pictures to appox. 15 machine shops and found one that says they can do it, but need my existing gears to copy. They actually sound like they know what they are talking about. Their ballpark price for 2 gears & 2 shafts is between 10 and 20 thousand, but they need the gears to get a firm quote. I did find one output shaft locally, but they want 10 thousand for it. I have emailed every zf dealer in the country---I cannot find any gears. The machine shop said that the majority of the cost was for setup. The more gears we have made, the cheaper they get.

Rich
  14. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

15. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

You're throwing your money away. Find a new set of gears for your boat and throw these things in the garbage.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

+1, for $20k you could find transmission/v drive combo's, maybe even new ones and swap them out and everything you need to do and get rid of these dinosaur's. Plus you'd have a spare one to sell to one of us other fools that needs 1.
  17. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

brilliant!
  18. huckins

huckins New Member

Thanks, I have a call into them.
  19. huckins

huckins New Member

Woa !, not so easy to find a replacement for the zf 250. Any replacement needs to be a stand a lone drive with the correct down angle or shaft logs and struts will need to be changed. also the existing trans attached to my engine also is the rear motor mount---big problem in my case. The 250 fits between my stringers, I am not sure anything else will. What we all need is to find a stand alone v-drive that will handle the power and have a 12 degree down angle. I have tried twin disc, zf, Nico, Hurth
  20. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Looks like CaptJ's plan has been foiled!