Click for Delta Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Looking for local knowledge, Cape Eleuthera

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by FL-NATIVE, Jun 1, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Will be heading from Harbour Island to Cape Eleuthera via Fleeming channel into the Bight of Eleuthera and then Davis channel to Cape Eleuthera Marina. Charts show MLW 2.5 meters in the NE part of Davis Channel. Anyone have experience in Davis, is the chart correct? I am hoping the depth is a little more, as is usually the case for Bahamas charts. We need almost 9' MLW to be safe.

Thanks in advance, Chuck
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Was there last month, went from HI to Warderick wells via Current Cut, overnight on Abalaster bay then down thru Davis channel. it was plenty deep for our 6 1/2 draft so I didn't make any notes.

If you can get into HI, Davis channel should be fine
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run those channels but went from Highbourne to Fleeming channel and around to Harbor Island. I've never gone to Cape Eleuthera but don't believe the channel going into the marina's and stuff to be deep enough for you. I wouldn't attempt it if you need 9' unless it's a sailboat and you don't mind touching....I didn't make any notes, but believe it isn't too deep for about half of it.
  4. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thanks Pascal. HI only at high tide so for Davis I will simply plan passage at high tide.
  5. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Thank Capt J.
    Believe it or not this boat is 96' and tops out at 28 knots yet has an 8' draft! To top it off the lowest 3' is nothing but propeller blades, hence touching is not optional. I have been assured by the marina the entrance channel is deep enough and they will put us up against one of the walls where the water is plenty deep. I convinced the owner that with 8' of draft we needed to install a transducer as far forward as possible as the existing 2 t-ducers are just forward of the props. Doesn't reduce the draft but at least gives me the opportunity to feel my way around if need be.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If they have a Pilot available, I'd use them. Assuming you don't have Sonar? The other thing one can do is launch the tender and go ahead and check things out.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is what I'd do. Use a pilot if they have one, if not put the tender in the water and follow 200 yards behind it at idle speed.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i m always reluctant to trust marinas. In doubt I anchor out, drop the tender and do a few passes To get a good view of the bottom and make sure there isn't a hump or something

Sure, in the Bahamas the water is clear but just a foot can make difference between safe and a ruined trip and a foot isn't always easy to read by eye ball
  9. Capt. Crash

Capt. Crash New Member

I joined to forum to literally ask if you made it in? Deep water - I spent a couple nights there in Jan waiting for it to lay down. Wow. Decent but out there place. Did you find a nice Patigonia jacket at the bar? Its mine. Lol. If you haven't gone yet - don't plan to spend more than a night, don't bother leaving the place, that Southern tip is like no mans land. I hope you made it in and out. I had surf rolling my tail in and rolled at the docks for three days and it felt like a year. Your draft makes it tricky, but take the Exuma ride down if you can. "The Cape" gets the diesel boat in so I think you were/will be fine. Let us know - I remember hitting the channel square on attempting not to take out the dippy channel markers.
  10. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Sorry for the delay, did not receive a notification email???
    Will be transiting Fleeming Channel late today and then Davis Channel tomorrow enroute to Cape Eleuthera marina. Will look for the jacket!
  11. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Sorry for delay, just realized I did not thank you!
  12. FL-NATIVE

FL-NATIVE Member

Cape E is exactly as you describe it. First thing I noted was the lack of rip rap to break up the waves entering the marina, definite oversight there. Conditions settled now, marina is calm. Following is my follow up reply to all of you who took the time to provide your input.

Follow up on Fleeming and Davis Channels, Eleuthera:

Thank to all for you replies. As a further way of saying thanks, here is what I found:

Fleeming Channel – Wide and deep, will transit in the dark if needed in the future. On Explorer charts, simply plot according to water depth. You can draw a straight line from the listed waypoints however I recommend staying slightly farther to the north of the reef system on the south side of channel. Transited about 1.5hrs after a high tide of +2.6, never saw less than 18 feet of water. Same with Nobeltec, simply plot what makes sense, no worries.

Davis Channel – Pretty much the same as Fleeming. Transited 1.5hrs prior to a high tide of +2.7, never saw less than 13 feet. Again, you may be able to draw a straight line between the waypoints on the Explorer chart, however according to the soundings I diverted slightly to the SE about midway, and turned ESE towards the Cape before the SW waypoint. Only made sense according what shown on both Explorer and Nobeltec. Albeit overcast, I never saw any shallows or coral heads to be concerned about.

The entrance to Cape Eleuthera Marina is straightforward. Outer mark is missing but not necessary, plenty of water.