Click for Mulder Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for JetForums

Local Knowledge: Hillsboro inlet (South FL)

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Pascal, Sep 2, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Has anyone used Hillsboro inlet recently? I havent in years but need to get out To the ocean out of Delray heading to BIM. I know Boca is too shallow for our 6'+draft but I m getting conflicting info on Hillsboro. Our guests may be happy to save an hour+ running the ditch down to PE.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Been a while but I always thought it was a good inlet. They were doing some bridge repair last time I was thru (couple years ago). To much big stuff around there and I can not imagine the inlet becoming an issue.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I've run out of Hillsboro for 30 years, but not in the past 3 years. Historically, the depth was around 15' plus. I wouldn't have any reservation about a 6 foot draft. If in question, just favor a high tide. BTW, there are shoals immediately to the north and south. I've seen more than one motoryacht, including a Denison, become a reef squatter to either side of the jetty.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I go in and out of Hillsboro with a 5' draft all of the time and no depth issues, I think 6' should be fine. A few times over the last 20 years it has shoaled over after a heavy northeaster in the winter, but cleared very quick and very very rare. 6' shouldn't be a problem. They're still doing construction on the bridge but you can get through it, watch the current around the bridge more than the depth.

I've also taken 6' draft out of Boca but on high tide and calm, and when I get to the end of the North Jetty I make a 45-60 degree towards the north until I get a mile offshore then turn/change direction.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Thanks... I went thru Hillsboro, it was well marked and plenty deep, never less than 12'mlw...
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Any construction still on the bridge?
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, it is still under construction. I live 3 miles from it. However there is nothing blocking the center span in either direction.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We've been using it the last three years and no problems. Draft at 5'3" hasn't even been close. Only reason haven't used it but once for deeper draft is too many bridges to get there from our house.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Before hurricane Wilma destroyed the Ramada and rocked the Santa Barbra resort towers, I often made deliveries in and out of the area. Worked an old friends Roamer and helped on his SN80.
    I remember a next to new big beautiful Merritt just south of the bridge and recall a big-un first (or second) dock north of the bridge I understood was Tiger Woods ship.
    Atlantic Blvd bridge, I think another (14 or 15th street) and the inlet bridge never were a problems as other bridges had attitudes. Nice boat ramp and park near that second bridge.
    That was always a nice area.
    I hope it is still nice.
  10. olderboater

The bridges are no problem and the tenders nice. Just there are six bridges to open for us from Hillsboro Inlet vs. one from Port Everglades.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

OB, 17th st needs to open for you?
    WOW
  12. olderboater

No. Las Olas.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the timing of all the bridges except Camino Real is pretty good since you can't go fast anyway. Around 5 to 6 kts gets you to the next one with almost no wait,

Camino real though is just bureaucraticly stupid... It s every 20 minutes meaning that northbound you just may have 10 minutes to arrive or south bound you may have 20' wait as th next one is so close. It shoudo be every 15' instead.

Everytime I come up this way I understand why I love living on biscayne bay where th water is blue green not black and we have plenty of anchorages.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Camino Real used to be every 15 minutes but backed up traffic too bad so they switched it. It's the same though if you get through Hillsboro Inlet on the 15 or 45, you then have a 10 min or less ride to NE 14th Street and it opens on the 15 and 45 also so you're sitting for 20 mins.....
  15. olderboater

The bridges are mostly well timed. It's just between the speed you must go and the length it still takes a long time. You're still talking a minimum of an hour and a half and probably more like 2 hours.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Freaking bridges.
    Avoid the ditch like a plague at all cost. Up & down there.
    If a cane is a blowing, I'm a doing a Lieutenant Dan....
    To avoid what I can.

But,
    From Hillsborough inlet to Lettuce Lake, there was (WAS) never a problem.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends, I don't mind taking the ditch if it's rough, as long as you do the appropriate speed, you don't have to wait on the bridges, you save lots of fuel....hehehee......

When are you going to be down here? I live 2 minutes from the NE 14th Street bridge (not on the water).
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'd rather save the fuel out side.
    We were down there. Judy sent the invites out (short notice).
    Our deliveries are even shorter notice and it usually get it, get out, don't fart about.
    Were coming back to da Bay next spring. Dragging a lil boot behind us and spend some time reminiscing times in/out of da Bay..
  19. Capt. Becko

Capt. Becko New Member

passed through today in the 78ft I run....low slack tide.....all was well....current can be pretty swift through there mid tide though!